Thread: I Am An Addict
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 06:08 AM
Friday1961

Originally Posted by lsb142 View Post
I am in love with the idea of quilting. I love collecting fabrics, notions, tools, etc. I look at my beautiful fabric all nicely folded on comic book boards and find that I don't want to cut them. I have a dedicated craft room with three machines. I have even bought a quilting machine and a frame. I even have an Accuquilt Go. I probably have 50+ quilting magazines. I buy all the quilting classes on Craftsy and watch them all the way through. I find I understand the techniques and "think" I could compete the quilts they show but I have yet to do that. I have only completed one lap quilt and have another top on my design wall. What is wrong with me? I have the desire and all the tools but I can't make myself complete quilts. I believe it is the perfectionist in me. I'm afraid my quilts won't be "perfect". I think I need an intervention.

Linda
Maybe you could think of it this way: If being afraid to start because you don't want to cut into that gorgeous fabric, keep this in mind: There's more fabric where that came from, in case you make a mistake. If afraid what you turn out won't be perfect, think of the Wright brothers. Their first plane flew only a little way, but they got better. You will, too. Also, fabric not sewn is just beautiful; cut and pieced and quilted it is beautiful, useful, and an accomplishment.

Of course, it's entirely possible you don't really like to sew and don't really want to make quilts, and are only enchanted by the fabric, tools, and dedicated room to do it.....which is perfectly acceptable, too. If so, you'll realize it soon enough and probably move onto something else that is equally beautiful to you. But if you like to sew and really want to make quilts, take a deep breath and just dive in. Make yourself get out that fabric and cut it up!

I say all this because I share some of your attitudes and think I know how you feel. The only cure is just to make yourself do it -- realizing there is no true perfection -- or move on to something else....which you may develop the same fear about. I think you'll conquer it. Good luck!!