View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Friday1961

Originally Posted by CCQuilter View Post
While purchasing some really neat fabric today at a WalMart, I happen to mention to the clerk that I was so glad to have the fabric department back. I patronize this store which is 30 minutes from my home because our 2 local WalMarts still do not have fabric departments. It's been such a pleasure to see a wonderful display of fabric and how nice the fabric department was arranged and tended. The clerk kind of smiled and complained that they have to keep rearranging the bolts, how they had to move the department, and how they had smaller department. I guess she was having a bad day and just doesn't understand how important it is to have fabrics for quilting. She really put a damper on the rest of my day. Oh, well, I'm still glad that the department is back.
I'm glad to have fabric back in Wal Mart stores, too; thought it was a huge mistake taking them out. I think the problem is that there is no dedicated fabric clerk; it's whoever is in the area who is not busy stocking--which takes up most of Wal-Mart clerks' time--who comes to cut your fabric. Some are experienced, some not. And then they have problems with the scanner when pricing; the things never seem to work. I so want to cut it myself when I'm there and waiting for someone to come to the cutting table.....but I never do, of course. A fabric department requires a lot of restocking and tidying up, which Wal-Mart clerks don't have time to do; therefore, the departments often look messy and untended.....because they are.