Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric Department at Wal Mart

Red face Fabric Department at Wal Mart

While purchasing some really neat fabric today at a WalMart, I happen to mention to the clerk that I was so glad to have the fabric department back. I patronize this store which is 30 minutes from my home because our 2 local WalMarts still do not have fabric departments. It's been such a pleasure to see a wonderful display of fabric and how nice the fabric department was arranged and tended. The clerk kind of smiled and complained that they have to keep rearranging the bolts, how they had to move the department, and how they had smaller department. I guess she was having a bad day and just doesn't understand how important it is to have fabrics for quilting. She really put a damper on the rest of my day. Oh, well, I'm still glad that the department is back.
    Live, love, laugh, pray

I love Wal Marts fabrics. Its so convienent to go there than across town to Joannes. Our Wal mart has the fabrics very dis-organized now. I mentioned that to the clerk and she said its because they needed space for flowers for summertime. So, this fall or late summer it should be back to the way I like it.

Sounds like to me she would rather be unemployed. I mean really isn't that her job to keep the product on the shelf looking good? Every department has to straighten their product. Some people love to complain. Don't let an old fuddy duddy ruin your fabric shopping experience, its just a guess but I bet she doesn't quilt. And also, Walmart has gotten really bad about using and abusing their employees and giving no benifits. Bless her heart for having to work for them in the first place, it would be hard to keep a positive attitude when you know you're not appreciated and that the owners are rich while you still qualify for food stamps.

My local walmart scaled down their fabric department. The fabrics on the wall are very good quality and not as low priced like they use to be. I prefer Joanns but I do buy from Walmart when I am there. Two other stores got rid of their fabric deptments all together.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I've seen customers load bolts of fabric into a cart, walk around and find something they like better, so just stick the first bolts wherever (often onto the Sales! shelf). Then the employees must locate the missing bolts and return everything to the proper spots. Plus those same employees are almost always expected to cover at least two departments, at a time. I've gotten to know a few Fabric Dept. employees and they're constantly having to shuffle between tasks . . . usually while some huffy woman is "Ding! Ding! DING!!!"-ing the fabric counter bell. I can imagine it must be hard to keep smiling, some days.

(This is referring to WalMart.)
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I have a super Walmart about 1.5 miles from my house, love it because I can get everything I need with one shop. They also closed out the department I want to say about 3 years ago, and it just came back less than 12 months ago. everytime I go in the department has gotten a little bigger. The employees do keep it very nice looking, the only problem I have noticed of late is that you really have to hunt down some one to cut your fabric for the longest time she was always in the department........I choose not to shop at Joanns, as I know from expierence THEY really abuse their employees, and my local store is always so dirty....would rather go to Hobby Lobby. And it is now sad that our only local LQS is closing next month....A sign of the times I guess

I am soooo spoiled ~ I have two Walmarts with fabric within about 5-10 miles of me. Our Joanns is moving and in fact will be reopening tomorrow in a much larger store- so excited. There is also a Hancock Fabric and Hobby Lobby all in the same vicinity. Along with those we have 6 LQS that all seem to be doing well. Sometimes I just go to these stores to breathe in the fabric pheremones and feel the luscious fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnative View Post
    I am soooo spoiled ~ I have two Walmarts with fabric within about 5-10 miles of me. Our Joanns is moving and in fact will be reopening tomorrow in a much larger store- so excited. There is also a Hancock Fabric and Hobby Lobby all in the same vicinity. Along with those we have 6 LQS that all seem to be doing well. Sometimes I just go to these stores to breathe in the fabric pheremones and feel the luscious fabric.
    Are you in by chance Billings ????

Seems like store clerks are getting more and more surly. But, if I had to deal with the mostly rude, demanding general public, maybe being surly becomes the mode for survival.

Power Poster
    Most of the people I've come across in most stores have been very nice and helpful.

Occasionally I've had to wait for someone to help me for something or other, but I can't blame the associate if corporate insists on keeping the number of employees down.

I have two stores within a 15 mile radius that have - or are getting - their fabric/craft departments back.

I would like the stores to devote more space to fabrics/crafts, but I'm glad they have what they have now.
    Last edited by bearisgray; 07-26-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Power Poster
    duplicate post

Our Walmart re-arranged itself. At first I was worried they were going to do away with the fabric department, but they just moved it. It looked as though they were going to downsize it, at they tried, but now it's just as big as it was. They don't carry as many patterns and notions as they did before.
    As you sew, so shall you rip.

I don't buy much fabric at WalMart, but today I was there for something else and got some nice superwide white muslin and heavy pellon to use in craft projects. The woman in the department said they are going to rearrange things soon, but are keeping their fabrics, maybe adding more. She is wishing she could retire, but she loves working with the fabrics. She's always helpful and chatty when I go there. She's been with them many years and has health insurance though she works less than full time hours. Apparently management there is pretty good. It's a tough job being on your feet all the time like that, and I appreciate her good service. She's older than I am, and I feel bad for her situation.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

I do shop at WalMart and LQS as well. WM has changed their fabric depart. all around. They were going to close it about 6 months ago but apparently changed their minds. I sent the corporate office statistics about the revenue-generating business quilting, sewing are. It was like 6 billion a year. I told them I guess they didn't care about making money with quilters and sewers. Some of the fabrics are really nice and good quality. I have bought Cranston an Spring fabrics there. Most of the ladies that work there are very nice. They have lots of other duties besides cutting fabric...

So sorry to hear about your LQS. Our Hobby Lobby has a smallish fabric department and the yardage is rather expensive. Did not hear that about Joann's, but have noticed there have been new faces over the past year. Just found out this PM, from a friend's daughter who is an employee of WalMart near me, that the store is expecting to get their fabric department back in March. It has been in the works for at least 2 years, but kept getting pushed back. Also the other WalMart on the other end of town will be getting their's back also but have to wait, keeps getting pushed back. I am just so thankful to have some good options now for purchasing fabrics.
    Live, love, laugh, pray

I have noticed in our local Wal-marts that the fabric section has been expanded. I hadn't paid much attention to it before, but it caught my eye the other day. Some of the fabric didn't feel as nice, but there were a lot of choices that I would buy if I needed it. Same as anywhere. I have had fabric from a LQS before that I was disappointed in, thought was thin, etc., though usually the fabric is more substantial. Ditto with Joann's. With prices the way they are, I definitely do not say "never" about buying at any of the stores. I look for sales, look for things I like, and feel my way through the fabrics. I was pleasantly surprised last week to find several bolts of fabric I really liked in the red tag section at Joann's. Marked at $6 a yard - and I really liked it - I was a happy camper!!
    Dawn

Awesome, I like to breathe in the fabrics also. I sometimes just get some of fabric out to feel it also. Thought I was the only one that did things like that. Love to live in my sewing room!!!!
    Live, love, laugh, pray

Some people work only cause they have too. I mentioned to one of the Wal Mart staff that was considered part time that they hire that way cause they don't have to give the benifits like they do to full time workers. She told me that not only did she love working for Wal Mart but that even the part time workers get full and great benifits. So I guess that not all of them "hate" their jobs.

walmart, joann and hobby lobby carries fabric that is inferior to that of lqs. i would rather pay for quality so that my quilts might last 50 years or more. you get what you pay for. i only purchase from my 2 lqs. we can always say that it is too bad that a lqs closed; but, quilters help to keep them in business, and if those quilters prefer to purchase lower quality fabrics from the big box stores, lqs might close.

I would love to be able to go back to operating the fabric Department in our Wal Mart again. There would be no complaints from my mouth. The closest place for us to buy fabric now is about 34 miles from our town. Very inconvenient. However, Home Office makes decisions based on the grand scope of things and we tend to see things on our local level. We don't always agree with the way things run but we don't make the decisions. As far as prices not being as low as they were? Have you compared prices on groceries to what they were 1 year ago? Everything is becoming so expensive, us poor folks are going to really struggle.
    As far as Wal Mart, Joann and hobby lobby carrying lower quality fabrics, I have to disagree. Some of the quality is lower but so are their prices. Most people think lower prices, lower quality. Did you ever think that the large "big box" stores purchase much larger quantities that the LQS can. That makes a difference in price. We had an LQS purchase fabric on sale at a "big box" store and resell it in her shop. If it weren't for the lower price stores, I for one could not continue to quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by sandilee View Post
    I love Wal Marts fabrics. Its so convienent to go there than across town to Joannes. Our Wal mart has the fabrics very dis-organized now. I mentioned that to the clerk and she said its because they needed space for flowers for summertime. So, this fall or late summer it should be back to the way I like it.
    Last edited by twinkie; 07-27-2012 at 03:59 AM.

I was told by a clerk at the Wal Mart I go to, that they are paid less per hour when cutting fabrics. I have found the exact fabrics at Joanns for more money than Wal Mart charges. I love to be able to buy fabrics while buying food and other items. They have fabrics for making other things too, lots of fabric choices, you have to know what is good fabric waht is not. Doing the feel test takes the mystery out.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Wal Mart comes up with some unique fabrics for sure ! yeppers there are just people who like to complain and others who are having a very bad day for sure ...A cheery disposition is needed in retail (some have it, some don't!).
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by rush88888 View Post
    walmart, joann and hobby lobby carries fabric that is inferior to that of lqs. i would rather pay for quality so that my quilts might last 50 years or more. you get what you pay for. i only purchase from my 2 lqs. we can always say that it is too bad that a lqs closed; but, quilters help to keep them in business, and if those quilters prefer to purchase lower quality fabrics from the big box stores, lqs might close.
    For many quilters they scrimp and save to even be able to but the 3-4 dollar a yard fabrics at wal mart . The closest LQS to me is an hour away and while they have the most outstanding and beautiful fabrics many can not afford the prices . I know ladies that can not even afford to drive to walmart more than once or twice a month let alone buy any more than clearance fabric. You are very fortunate to be able to afford high quality fabrics ,but many are not .I ofen give huge scrap bags of fabrics to these ladies who in turn sell the finished items (twin quilts) at 30-40 dollars just to be able to buy their medicine every month. So I for one am happy to have wal mart fabric departments back "inferior fabrics " and all !

No fabric in our local walmart, but they put it back in the one in Broussard, about 12 miles from here. Just went this week, and got some really nice fabric off the clearance shelf.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

It is very sad that our LQS are closing. But thats what happens when we don't support them and shop at Walmart and Joanns.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast