Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart Fabric Department News

Okay, so I don't know if this is true or not so please don't shoot the messenger, BUT...I was purchasing fabric at Wal-Mart tonight and I mentioned to the woman how happy I was that we had such a great fabric dept. b/c I knew so many stores were discontinuing theirs. She said we absolutely weren't and had been getting tons of fabric in lately AND that other stores are going to be BRINGING BACK their fabric departments.

So take that for what it's worth. I know there are a lot of opinions on this topic but for those who love to shop at Wal-Mart, you can keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostons
    Okay, so I don't know if this is true or not so please don't shoot the messenger, BUT...I was purchasing fabric at Wal-Mart tonight and I mentioned to the woman how happy I was that we had such a great fabric dept. b/c I knew so many stores were discontinuing theirs. She said we absolutely weren't and had been getting tons of fabric in lately AND that other stores are going to be BRINGING BACK their fabric departments.

So take that for what it's worth. I know there are a lot of opinions on this topic but for those who love to shop at Wal-Mart, you can keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best!
    For some odd reason I love your avatar!! :roll:

they brought back fabric here, but its precuts and projects kits. No bolts of fabric.

Blog Entries
    I heard that it is where people have really complained that they are bringing fabric back. Don't know if this is true either...

I was ti=old because we have an Amish community near by they plan yo keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Japonica
    For some odd reason I love your avatar!! :roll:
    I'm thinking yours is pretty darn cute too! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I heard that it is where people have really complained that they are bringing fabric back. Don't know if this is true either...
    I was told that is why they kept ours....because there were so many people that wrote in and told them they wanted them to keep it open.....and I have heard they would be opening some again.

Blog Entries
    I hope that they will return the fabric bolts for all of us to enjoy again

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Ah, the old squeaky wheel!

Love your Boston. I have one also. She was spayed today, so I get time to be here without her taking fabric out of my sewing room. Keep on quilting.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    I hope that they will return the fabric bolts for all of us to enjoy again
    Ours continues to get worse!! Just pre-cuts and they admit that is all they will be getting.

Yeah here in Manitoba they just have precuts and jelly rolls and the like. No fabric bolts or even batting anymore.

Ours was closed down too, but they are selling the pre-cut stuff now. I did talk to one of the ladies that has worked in that department for awhile and she said that walmart has a new CEO (I think that's what she said he was hehe) and he's not liking how the company has been being ran (like the old man used to run it) so they are changing alot of things and she said we are getting our bolts and stuff back. Like the first lady said though I'm not sure how true this is so don't shoot the messenger hehe

Sharon

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Our local manager told me NO WAY as there wasnt enough demand to warrant paying the cutters. It was always packed when I went in and lots of quilters and Amish in our area.I told him,bring it back,will cut out own.LOL!

Some of our Walmarts (I have 6 within 30 minutes in any direction) still have bolts. Recently I had my 80yr dad with while I picked out some fabric and enjoyed watching him "ooh and ahh" over it almost as much I did getting the fabric.

Anyway... no one was available to cut it except a very very nice young man that was willing to do it if I was willing to let him (after waiting 10 minutes, I would have let almost anyone cut it). Ended up, I cut it and he ran the pricing gun so we could get it finished up. While I was there, 3 other people came up and wanted fabric cut too. Well....being the shy person that I'm known to be, I cut their fabric also. The poor kid was so grateful for the help and the others laughed when they found out I didn't work there.

I'm crossing my fingers our other local wallys get the fabric back since we're in a rural area.

i will believe it when i see it i work at wally world and tell you for sure no one at the store level knows or has control if fabric stays or goes

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia
    Love your Boston. I have one also. She was spayed today, so I get time to be here without her taking fabric out of my sewing room. Keep on quilting.
    Your Boston is adorable! How nice that you get to be with her. I hope she feels better soon. I'm sure she'll be back to her rambunctious self in no time!

Quote Originally Posted by moonwork42029
    Some of our Walmarts (I have 6 within 30 minutes in any direction) still have bolts. Recently I had my 80yr dad with while I picked out some fabric and enjoyed watching him "ooh and ahh" over it almost as much I did getting the fabric.

Anyway... no one was available to cut it except a very very nice young man that was willing to do it if I was willing to let him (after waiting 10 minutes, I would have let almost anyone cut it). Ended up, I cut it and he ran the pricing gun so we could get it finished up. While I was there, 3 other people came up and wanted fabric cut too. Well....being the shy person that I'm known to be, I cut their fabric also. The poor kid was so grateful for the help and the others laughed when they found out I didn't work there.

I'm crossing my fingers our other local wallys get the fabric back since we're in a rural area.
    I love it. I once cooked my own breakfast in a restaurant, because the cook had called in sick and there was only one person there.

I loved to shop fabrics at Walmart. The one near my home has fabrics department, but I don't like much what they have now. It is like they are not buying new bolts, just selling what they have left. The fabric department looks smaller each time I go.

I'm glad to hear these news. I used to get very good deals there.

Both of ours are supposed to be leaving. We DO have lots of Amish, soI dont know why they are closing ours!

If the powers that be at wm were really smart they would get in lots of good quality quilting fabric instead of some of the junk they have. We"d be so happy . Wonder why they haven"t thought of that? Thank goodness our wm still have fabric ,but the quilting fab is really limited.

Blog Entries
    Ours downsized, but kept quite a few bolts. Now they are adding bolts every time I go in. There are some pretty Spring coordinates. I don't know how good the fabric is, but it looks good. If I wasn't on a fabric moriatorium for the New Year, I'd buy a little piece to wash and let you know. Why did I agree to that?

Lady showed me new stuff the other day. There were about 6 or 8 different blue prints from light to dark & a bunch of other stuff. Really nice.

Down here the payscale is very low in rural areas. Our WM fabric department could make a lot of money by offering better quality - and actually allow that one department worker to stay in the department and not have to run all over the store helping other departments when their people don't show up for work. Maybe it's a less than desirable store manager - don't know.

I was in one of our Wal-Marts in Nov. and they said it was here to stay and matter of fact would be moving it to the front of the building and enlarging it and also bring it back to the Wal -mart Center on 1-40 as well and she said there was talk of
    a man that was going to open another Fabric retail store here as well. :D I really like the sounds of that :-D

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast