Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Department at Wal Mart >

Fabric Department at Wal Mart

Fabric Department at Wal Mart

Old 07-27-2012, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

I was told by a clerk at the Wal Mart I go to, that they are paid less per hour when cutting fabrics. I have found the exact fabrics at Joanns for more money than Wal Mart charges. I love to be able to buy fabrics while buying food and other items. They have fabrics for making other things too, lots of fabric choices, you have to know what is good fabric waht is not. Doing the feel test takes the mystery out.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:44 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Wal Mart comes up with some unique fabrics for sure ! yeppers there are just people who like to complain and others who are having a very bad day for sure ...A cheery disposition is needed in retail (some have it, some don't!).
Old 07-27-2012, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by rush88888 View Post
walmart, joann and hobby lobby carries fabric that is inferior to that of lqs. i would rather pay for quality so that my quilts might last 50 years or more. you get what you pay for. i only purchase from my 2 lqs. we can always say that it is too bad that a lqs closed; but, quilters help to keep them in business, and if those quilters prefer to purchase lower quality fabrics from the big box stores, lqs might close.
For many quilters they scrimp and save to even be able to but the 3-4 dollar a yard fabrics at wal mart . The closest LQS to me is an hour away and while they have the most outstanding and beautiful fabrics many can not afford the prices . I know ladies that can not even afford to drive to walmart more than once or twice a month let alone buy any more than clearance fabric. You are very fortunate to be able to afford high quality fabrics ,but many are not .I ofen give huge scrap bags of fabrics to these ladies who in turn sell the finished items (twin quilts) at 30-40 dollars just to be able to buy their medicine every month. So I for one am happy to have wal mart fabric departments back "inferior fabrics " and all !
Old 07-27-2012, 04:55 AM

No fabric in our local walmart, but they put it back in the one in Broussard, about 12 miles from here. Just went this week, and got some really nice fabric off the clearance shelf.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:24 AM

It is very sad that our LQS are closing. But thats what happens when we don't support them and shop at Walmart and Joanns.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:55 AM

What's a store without fabric???? I love to look at the fabric at our Walmarts store. They do have different prices on material which gives us a choice. I do realize most of the workers are over worked with too much to take care of. Most do the best they can. I appreciate them and their work. Our ladies are very nice and helpful when we can find them.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:03 AM

Our Wally-World's fabric dept is currently expanding but so are their prices. It's 10 miles for me to drive, but 35 miles away are three more W-M's with fabric; one store, only 22 miles did away with their fabric.....got some great deals when they did at 50% off! My hubby read in the financial section where W-M finally realized closing out the fabric depts was a BAD decision that's why they are bringing them back in some places.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by rush88888 View Post
walmart, joann and hobby lobby carries fabric that is inferior to that of lqs. i would rather pay for quality so that my quilts might last 50 years or more. you get what you pay for. i only purchase from my 2 lqs. we can always say that it is too bad that a lqs closed; but, quilters help to keep them in business, and if those quilters prefer to purchase lower quality fabrics from the big box stores, lqs might close.
The thought that always occurs to me with this is that - if one cannot afford the fabric at the LQS and therefore cannot make a quilt - there is then not a quilt to be made to last for 50 years. And the joy of quilting is lost to that person as well as to those who would have enjoyed using that quilt.

Many, like me, mix it up. Which is why many say buy the best that you can afford - and don't feel guilty about it. Beautiful quilts are also created from fabric from other sources. Maybe it will last 50 years, maybe it won't - but they are created, loved, and bring joy for whatever time it is they last.

My first quilt was made from fabric from an LQS, around 7 or 8 years ago. It is now faded (no, I have not washed it a bazillion times) and well used. I doubt it will last 50 years - but I sure enjoyed my first quilting experience - and we have enjoyed using this quilt! I'll be interested to compare this quilt with my *new* quilt that is now on my bed. My *new* quilt is made with a mix of fabrics. Also, I have a quilt I made for my daughter, made with a mix of fabrics. It is holding up quite nicely.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
For many quilters they scrimp and save to even be able to but the 3-4 dollar a yard fabrics at wal mart . The closest LQS to me is an hour away and while they have the most outstanding and beautiful fabrics many can not afford the prices . I know ladies that can not even afford to drive to walmart more than once or twice a month let alone buy any more than clearance fabric. You are very fortunate to be able to afford high quality fabrics ,but many are not .I ofen give huge scrap bags of fabrics to these ladies who in turn sell the finished items (twin quilts) at 30-40 dollars just to be able to buy their medicine every month. So I for one am happy to have wal mart fabric departments back "inferior fabrics " and all !
I am with you and DawnFurlong, raedar63. I quilt for my own pleasure and get my fabrics everywhere and anywhere. I don't care if they last 50 years and I'm guessing the people I give them to don't either. Who knows, they might anyway.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:21 AM

I like our Walmart department but it is messy. After going to our LQS and paying $3.00 for fat quarters I'll deal with the mess.