Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Department at Wal Mart >

Fabric Department at Wal Mart

Fabric Department at Wal Mart

Old 07-27-2012, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by CCQuilter View Post
While purchasing some really neat fabric today at a WalMart, I happen to mention to the clerk that I was so glad to have the fabric department back. I patronize this store which is 30 minutes from my home because our 2 local WalMarts still do not have fabric departments. It's been such a pleasure to see a wonderful display of fabric and how nice the fabric department was arranged and tended. The clerk kind of smiled and complained that they have to keep rearranging the bolts, how they had to move the department, and how they had smaller department. I guess she was having a bad day and just doesn't understand how important it is to have fabrics for quilting. She really put a damper on the rest of my day. Oh, well, I'm still glad that the department is back.
I'm glad to have fabric back in Wal Mart stores, too; thought it was a huge mistake taking them out. I think the problem is that there is no dedicated fabric clerk; it's whoever is in the area who is not busy stocking--which takes up most of Wal-Mart clerks' time--who comes to cut your fabric. Some are experienced, some not. And then they have problems with the scanner when pricing; the things never seem to work. I so want to cut it myself when I'm there and waiting for someone to come to the cutting table.....but I never do, of course. A fabric department requires a lot of restocking and tidying up, which Wal-Mart clerks don't have time to do; therefore, the departments often look messy and untended.....because they are.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
Sounds like to me she would rather be unemployed. I mean really isn't that her job to keep the product on the shelf looking good? Every department has to straighten their product. Some people love to complain. Don't let an old fuddy duddy ruin your fabric shopping experience, its just a guess but I bet she doesn't quilt. And also, Walmart has gotten really bad about using and abusing their employees and giving no benifits. Bless her heart for having to work for them in the first place, it would be hard to keep a positive attitude when you know you're not appreciated and that the owners are rich while you still qualify for food stamps.
Well, to present the other side...... it's true that Wal-Mart is now hiring only part time people and therefore no benefits. But that has to do with the present economy; at least they are hiring! My son worked 20 years in a Wal-Mart automotive department (tire and battery manager) and received a salary and benefits on a scale equal to those I had in academia plus he got profit-sharing and stock options. Both those helped pay tuition when he went back to school and got his degree in 2009. Wal-Mart is no worse than any other big box store organization; you just seem to hear more about it.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:54 AM

My WalMart in Newport, AR has a really nice fabric department. At first it looked as if they were doing away with it but now it's back bigger than ever along with scrapbooking & cake decorating. I went back this week to buy some more of a specific material for backing on a quilt. They only had 6 yards and Lisa said she could order another bolt in for me and it would be in approx. Aug. 7th. How cool is that??? She will call me when it comes in. By the way, it's a 50 mile round trip from home to Newport. It's 100 miles round trip to next nearest town and all they have is a Hancocks and I can't even afford their fabric. My mother & grandmother made quilts to keep warm out of scraps left over from making dresses and the good part of worn out clothes. I have one my G/mother made me when I was a child and it's over 70 years old - soooooo guess where you buy your fabric depends on your pocketbook. I don't travel to WalMart more than once a month either because of gas prices unless I have to go to vet or eye doctor.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
The thought that always occurs to me with this is that - if one cannot afford the fabric at the LQS and therefore cannot make a quilt - there is then not a quilt to be made to last for 50 years. And the joy of quilting is lost to that person as well as to those who would have enjoyed using that quilt.

Many, like me, mix it up. Which is why many say buy the best that you can afford - and don't feel guilty about it. Beautiful quilts are also created from fabric from other sources. Maybe it will last 50 years, maybe it won't - but they are created, loved, and bring joy for whatever time it is they last.

My first quilt was made from fabric from an LQS, around 7 or 8 years ago. It is now faded (no, I have not washed it a bazillion times) and well used. I doubt it will last 50 years - but I sure enjoyed my first quilting experience - and we have enjoyed using this quilt! I'll be interested to compare this quilt with my *new* quilt that is now on my bed. My *new* quilt is made with a mix of fabrics. Also, I have a quilt I made for my daughter, made with a mix of fabrics. It is holding up quite nicely.
I guess I'm not making heirloom quilts so don't worry if they last 50 years. I won't be here to see if they do, at any rate! I have a quilt that my mother made when she was a girl, out of flour sack fabric, which I'm sure was hardly quality material. I assume most quilts made years ago were made of that kind of fabric, in fact. My mother's quilt (the only one she ever made; she was not a sewer!) is still whole and the colors still bright, though I admit it's not used and hasn't been washed a lot.

Having said all that, I'm all for small business enduring and flourishing, including local quilt shops.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:58 AM

It seems like they have gotten a good variety of fabrics in at the Walmarts near me (20 - 25 miles in any direction), but finding someone to cut the fabric is not always easy.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I won't buy from Walmart because it's inferior to my LQS. It's so obvious. Their fabric is like cardboard. And, they don't have anything that matches and you can't find a sales person anywhere. You all must have nicer fabric depts. than I do at my Walmart. My Walmart's fabric dept. is a joke. I don't mind paying the extra money for the good quality fabric. I want my quilts to last. And my machine likes the good quality fabric.
Since I've never been to your local WalMart, I've no idea of the fabric it happens to carry. However, most WalMarts carry a decent variety of fabric qualities . . . including some that is every bit as good as LQS (although some of it is almost as expensive, also). Having visited quite a few WMs, I have noticed the individual stores often seem to cater to the local consumers, in some departments.

As for your machine only liking the "good quality" fabric, does that mean it doesn't perform well, on the thinner or thicker fabric? If that's the case, perhaps you should consider a different machine. I have a 35 yo Kenmore, a Janome 7700, and a Brother CS6000i. All three of these machines will sew well, on any fabric I offer.

Last edited by Neesie; 07-27-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:55 AM

I shop at fabric stores and W-M but now that I'm living in Mt instead of Ill its over 200 miles round trip for me so I can only buy once a month. The W-M I visit has a very good selection and is always neat so the long drive (love the scenery) is worth the time. The quilt shop here in town closed right after I moved here so I don't have a choice.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:14 AM

Sorry you let her bad attitude ruin your day. Just focus on how much you love quilting and enjoy the fabric and what she said will fade.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:29 AM

Be thankful that your WalMart carries fabric. We had a beautiful fabric department in Traverse City but the removed it. Don't shop there much anymore
Old 07-27-2012, 12:15 PM

My local Joann's closed, though there is a bigger one farther away, and Walmart on this side of town just doubled the size of their fabric department. Used to be half of the fabric was for apparel, now it seems 3/4 is for quilters

I try to return bolts as she cuts from the next one