Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Department at Wal Mart >

Fabric Department at Wal Mart

Fabric Department at Wal Mart

Old 07-27-2012, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rush88888 View Post
walmart, joann and hobby lobby carries fabric that is inferior to that of lqs. i would rather pay for quality so that my quilts might last 50 years or more. you get what you pay for. i only purchase from my 2 lqs. we can always say that it is too bad that a lqs closed; but, quilters help to keep them in business, and if those quilters prefer to purchase lower quality fabrics from the big box stores, lqs might close.
raedar63 and Dawn Furlong responded well to this one

My two cents worth:

If a person can't afford LQS prices and doesn't/wouldn't go in there anyway - the LQS has lost nothing if the person buys elsewhere.

As far as 'quality' goes - A quilt that is 'used hard' will wear out faster than one that is an 'heirloom' and tucked away somewhere - properly stored.

Sort of 'why do the jeans I wear every day wear out sooner than the ones that I outgrew eight years ago?'

I prefer some of my 'no-name' and/or VIP/Marcus Brothers/Springs fabrics to some of the Alexander Henry/Kaufman/Hoffman/Benartex fabrics that I have. (Have never had Liberty of London fabric, so don't know what that's like)

Some of us are very happy that WalMart has fabric back. For those that don't want or need to go there - stop raining on our parade!!!

Actually, I think the original post had to do with a WalMart associate not being particularly cheery that day.

As far as that goes, I've been in a couple of LQS where I am sure I became invisible as soon as I entered the shop.

Last edited by bearisgray; 07-27-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:30 AM

walmart, joann and hobby lobby carries fabric that is inferior to that of lqs. i would rather pay for quality so that my quilts might last 50 years or more. you get what you pay for. i only purchase from my 2 lqs. we can always say that it is too bad that a lqs closed; but, quilters help to keep them in business, and if those quilters prefer to purchase lower quality fabrics from the big box stores, lqs might close.
This is absolutely untrue. A person, who knows how to judge fabric quality, can find excellent fabric at any of those places. Lately, I've been buying a lot of Hobby Lobby fabric; the quality is every bit as good as LQS fabric. Some of it is actually better than the LQS fabric, in that it wrinkles less, when washed. Same weight, same silky feel, less wrinkles.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:44 AM

I cannot and will not pay $12 - $13 a yard for some of the LQS fabrics. If that was my only availability, I'd have to give up quilting. There is junk fabric wherever you go, even LQS. Feel the fabric, check the weave and inspect color uniformity and let that be your criteria wherever you shop. Frankly, if my quilts don't hold up for 50 years, that's fine with me. I won't be around to see what happens to them by then. Use them, enjoy them and if they wear out, I'll make you another.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:55 AM

I am happy for you to be able to afford the prices of a LQS, good for you.....as for me I am a retired widow living on a very small income. I buy fabric that I love, the best the I can afford at the time for my quilts, from where ever I can shop, which is usually Walmart, because it is close and I can not afford the high gas prices to drive around town ....I make up for any short comings with a ton of love that I pour into my creations...
Old 07-27-2012, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
This is absolutely untrue. A person, who knows how to judge fabric quality, can find excellent fabric at any of those places. Lately, I've been buying a lot of Hobby Lobby fabric; the quality is every bit as good as LQS fabric. Some of it is actually better than the LQS fabric, in that it wrinkles less, when washed. Same weight, same silky feel, less wrinkles.
I agree with every word.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:30 AM

Here in Pocatello, Idaho we have a large materials and notions section at Wal-mart. I have recently seen 3 bolts of material that JoAnns carry at a much higher price. Last spring they remodeled. I always head here when I buy grocerys.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:52 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I won't buy from Walmart because it's inferior to my LQS. It's so obvious. Their fabric is like cardboard. And, they don't have anything that matches and you can't find a sales person anywhere. You all must have nicer fabric depts. than I do at my Walmart. My Walmart's fabric dept. is a joke. I don't mind paying the extra money for the good quality fabric. I want my quilts to last. And my machine likes the good quality fabric.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:05 AM

Many of the really old quilts that are now so treasured were made with what we would now consider rags - discarded, used clothing that wasn't from the best fabrics anyway. I know that many, many quilts that my mother had were made that way! Surely even the cheapest fabric now is as good as rags were then!
Old 07-27-2012, 08:07 AM

Every ones allowed a bad day from time to time. Don't let it bother you. The next time you are there she will most likely be the one to serve you and she will most likely be a real sweet heart.And on the whole there are more happy WalMart employees than there are disgruntled ones
Old 07-27-2012, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
Are you in by chance Billings ????
Yes I am! You obviously know about how lucky I am!