Thread: My son
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 07:25 AM
kapatt

That is great! I always encouraged my children to go with their interests. Someone once told my kids that they seemed to have an interest in many different things. My son is 27 and he learned to sew when he was about 11 or 12 years old. My husband still has a pillow that my son made for him at Christmas. The pillow is just a rectangle pillow but my son outlined his hand on the pillow and put the date in the middle of the hand. It is a wonderful remembrance item. My son doesn't have time to sew now but he can repair his clothes if he needs to do so. Sewing is just one of the things that he has found an interest in. Before college my son was a wildland firefighter. In college he took flying lessons. He graduated from college as a geologist and I insisted that he go out in the real world and see what life was about before he got his masters. After he graduated with his bachelor's degree, he traveled from California to Alaska working in oil fields and gas fields. In his spare time, he volunteered for Habitat for Humanity and worked on a "dig" for fossils. Right now, he is back in college going for his masters. This summer, besides working on his masters project, he works part time for USGS. In his spare time he is learning Salsa dancing with his girlfriend and works on his motorcycle. Sewing was just one part of his interest in life but it was an interest that will benefit him the rest of his life.