View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Quilting Nonnie

"It is really frustrating because such a small percentage actually help, run for office, show and tell and so on, but we have to plan ahead just in case they decide to come. The guild seriously discussed limiting membership to 50 a few years ago, but it was voted down by the same people who make such a small contribution. Of course those people are there with bells on for a party or free class."

I understand your feelings, there are people like that in any organization I think. And sometimes it feels that just a few people contribute. But not all are just non-contributers, there are other reasons.

It could be that many of those people have difficulties in contributing. At one point in my guild I was membership chairman. It was a very time consuming job. During that year, I started having high blood pressure. That was a first for me. I do tend to say yes to things thinking I can fit it all in. I resigned from the membership chair, cut a few other things and the blood pressure has been fine.

I've not increased my level of "volunteer-ship" since then.

Other people may have very demanding jobs that require them to work when they get home and the guild is the only place they go for "a night out."

Not everyone who is chronically ill looks sick, but it limits what you can do. We have one lady I know of in our guild that has fibromyalgia. She hardly is able to quilt, but she comes to meetings and is the sweetest kindest person I know.

My husband has not been able to walk for a year. Because of that, all of the house upkeep, chores, yardwork, etc. fall on me. I work full time. It doesn't leave me a lot of time to spare. I am now the guild email "blast" person.

My friend had to take a job to help out with finances. Before that she was a member of two guilds and had a job in each. Now she is a mail carrier and her job usually has her home between five and seven at night.

There are people who have cancer, or their spouse does. Or a serious illness. Or something devastating going on in their life that we don't know.

People come to guilds because they love quilting and want the company. Their contribution is their presence and if that's all they can contribute they are as welcome as anyone else.

Last edited by Quilting Nonnie; 08-07-2012 at 09:21 PM.