Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt Guild Meetings

Quilt Guild Meetings

Hi,

Our Guild is now 200 members and thoughts are it is getting too big.

Do any Guilds have two meetings?

If so, how do manage guest speakers, challenges, officers, etc?

Thanks,
    Drew

I belong to 3 guilds - a very small one (fewer than 30), a very large one (over 300), and one in the middle. The very large guild (in Salem) has a morning meeting and an evening meeting. Most people come to the morning meeting, so it can be very crowded. Each meeting has the same speaker, but there is a different set of officers for each meeting (a morning president, an evening president, etc.) They meet together for board meetings. I never thought about the challenges, but I think they are the same for both groups.

I belong to a guild in a neighboring town and in January 2011 there were 22 members and this year so far we have 42 members, almost double what it was last year and it keeps growing.

We have always had two meetings, one in the morning and one at night to accomodate everyone. At the beginning of the meeting we take care of buisness, old and new, praying for those who are sick and/or need prayers for other things, share about our families and then we have someone teach us something, and then show and tell of our projects we are working on or have completed. At the morning meeting when all is said and done we decide where we want to go to lunch. :-)
    clsurz

Banned
    Two of the Guilds I once belonged to had wait lists when a certain number of members was reached.
    Seem to work out well.
    I moved and opened 2 slots.

I am past president of my guild... we are rather small, 50 members, usually about about 35-39 present for a meeting. We have a waiting list, and it seems that the wait is never all that long. People move, or become too ill, or family stuff gets in the way and they leave.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I must say, after having been a member of at least 8 or 9 quilds over the years, I have never met a happy or understanding want-to-be guild member who didn't 'make it' because some guild limited its membership. To a person they have all had hurt feelings and a bad taste in their mouths for a group of fellow quilters who could be so exclusive as to reject another quilter. No matter the reason.

I have also been in two guilds that have made the serious and sometimes painful decision to move the meeting location to accommodate growth. And that quickly appeared to benefit everyone!

Wouldn't it be awkward if Quilters Newsletter Magazine or McCall's Quilting magazine printed only, say, 50,000 copies because that's how many rolled off the presses in one 24 hour day and they just didn't want to bother to run them a second day?

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

With our large group in Florida, it came down to fire code laws. Only so many people in certain amount of space. After moving once to larger and more expensive place, we had no choice but to limit membership. It had nothing to do with not wanting more members.

My guild has about 100 people give or take at every meeting, we have lecture and the classes from lecturer with a limited number if seats ( they cost separate too) works well we just meet in a place that can accomedate that many people... Changed locations twice in the last year, not because of size but because they needed to do construction on the site, and we would be unable to park and what not....

Power Poster
    The problems with splitting a guild can be finding enough people willing to be on the executive. It wouldn't be fair for the same people to be expected to do both meetings. If the meeting is getting too big for the venue, maybe you could split one off into just a share and sew. If my guild offered that, I would be interested and just go to the regular meeting for special programs. I find the business part of meetings BORING!

My guild has about 250 members. The guild has 2 chapters, a morning & a night. Executive board consists of a president, vice-pres, secy, & treas. Also a day co-ordinator, day secy, day treas and a night co-ordinator, night secy & night treas. Each chapter plans its own program, but a few times a year the "guild" sponsors the program & workshop with nationally known quilters. Challenges & holiday mystery are " guild" activities, but each chapter plans its own block of the month, small workshops, etc. Hope that info helps you.

Wow, I agree with Jan, how sad it would be to be told, I'm sorry you can't join us because we already have enough members, YUK.
    Some very large qwuilds have many smaller groups that get together for specific projects or specialities. NW Quilters alternates between a morning and evening meeting.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Blog Entries
    Yes, how sad it would be not to be part of a guild because it limited its membership. People like me would never get a spot because work issues come up and I cannot attend everything every time. People like me who are new to quilting would never be part of something that can be a rewarding experience.

Our guild has 200+ members and only meet once a month, at 6P.M. to 9P.M. At each meeting we have committe reports, This includes everythng from our Quilt show to the Sunshine report. We pass a blessing basket, recognise birthdays for the month, welcome new members, and guest. Have a drawing for the block of the month, also usually a suprise drawing for something useful ( if you wear your name tag your entered) always a guest speaker or demo, a show and tell for all to show off our newest quilt. We have a break mid way through for coffee and cookies. we have round robbins but that is something members set up and do on there own. We know before we start the meeting that we are on a tight time line, and we have to stay focased to get everything done. but we usually have plenty of time after the meeting to just sit and chat for a few min. Members of our guild are spread over a large area, I have one of the longest trips, 2 hrs. one way. So we will meet in groups of 2-? to work on charty quilts, round robins, challenges, ect then report on what we are doing or have finished at the next meeting. It works for us and we have never turned anyone away.

As far as a guild being to large in part as to do not so much with to many members but how they can accomodate the amount of people they have at one setting and also fire codes and laws in place in an area. The only negative I've seen with limited members is not even that problem but a social group that think they are better than you because you don't meet there standards or live on the right side of the track or are not of the right ethnic group.

With us it would be being able to find a venue that could accomodate say more than 50 or so folks at such a meeting I believe. We however have no such limits on how many members can join a guild so it will be interesting to see how we solve the problem of needing more room once we hit 100 or more members.
    clsurz

We have over 300 members in our guild. Because we are a large guild, we are able to bring in Nationally known speakers. We donate over 300 quilts twice a year to our charities and can put on a pretty nice quilt show. We are near the maximum for the room that we meet in.
    There are dozens of "small groups" that get together weekly, or bi-weekly to work on different themes or projects. The guild itself meets once a month for meeting and the next day is usually a work-shop put on by the speaker we had at the mtg. We have a huge "lending library" of quilts books and patterns and lots of people on the board. I love the guild I am in.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

I belong to two guilds. The larger of the two limits the number of people who can join based on the certificate of occupancy of the room we use. This guild only meets in the evening (even though at least half of the members are retired). We also only have programs, etc. in the evenings or on a Saturday so that everyone who is interested can attend.

Blog Entries
    When I joined my guild. We only had 30 members. Im still a member(25yrs later), were up to 80-85 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I find the business part of meetings BORING!
    Boy, did that ever strike a chord with me. I don't belong to a guild but I'm on the board (bored!!) of a club I belong to and I can hardly wait for my term to be over so I don't have to attend any more of those meetings.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    Jan of Va said it right I also belong to a group that got to large for a meeting place so we divided a night group for working or people that just prefered meeting in evenings ad a day group we have seperate offices but do stay in touch if we do something like bring in a teacher let both groups sign up if enough have 2 classes if not we still have enough for one class can do more things and works very good and no one is left out

The one here meets at the library, only about 25-30 people.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I just had to wade in on this one. When I joined our guild 15 years ago there were around 35 members with quite a high percentage attending daytime meetings. Now there are close to 85 members with about the same number attending monthly on a regular basis. But you never can tell until the meeting day. We have changed locations four times to my knowledge because we outgrew our location. We are at that point again, but don't have another place we can afford. It is really frustrating because such a small percentage actually help, run for office, show and tell and so on, but we have to plan ahead just in case they decide to come. The guild seriously discussed limiting membership to 50 a few years ago, but it was voted down by the same people who make such a small contribution. Of course those people are there with bells on for a party or free class. It is very frustrating. I've gotten to the point that I would rather get together with a small group of like-minded quilting friends and sew, visit, share and so on without all the extra work.

I belong to a large guild in Spokane that only meets 4 times a year. They have a meeting that starts at noon and a second meeting in the evening. Officers stay the same, guest speaker does a different speech for each meeting - makes those of us who don't have jobs working for others that can attend the day meeting want to stay for the evening meeting. There are around 400 at the day meeting and probably 250-300 at the night meeting. The guest speakers also give a class on Friday and Saturday - two different classes - following our Thursday meetings. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by clements View Post
    I've gotten to the point that I would rather get together with a small group of like-minded quilting friends and sew, visit, share and so on without all the extra work.
    I belong to a bee group in Florida (Oh how I miss them!) - there are 7 of us who meet weekly at one member's house (she has a dedicated building for quilting with her longarm, huge cutting table her hubby made, and a table large enough for all of us to sit and sew at) every week where we sew, go out to lunch and return to sew again. Different political and religious view points, different backgrounds, levels of education, bound together in the friendship of quilting. No arguments or fighting, always willing to lend a hand in a quilting project (or anything else, for that matter), never a catty remark about another member, just a wonderful, deep friendship with other women who share the same love of quilting. They are the sisters of my heart.

I'm not sure why you think there is a limit to membership. Isn't it just as easy, and more cost effective, to have a program for 200 hundred members as 50? I can see limiting workshop numbers, but the more members, the more $$ in dues to run the organization, donate quilts, hold shows, etc. Plus, how would you divide your members? There's bound to be hurt feelings from people who are "ousted" from the original group. Is it worth it? Our guild has smaller sub groups who get together from time to time, but we all come together once a month and keep up with what we're all doing.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    The very large guild (in Salem) has a morning meeting and an evening meeting. Most people come to the morning meeting, so it can be very crowded. Each meeting has the same speaker, but there is a different set of officers for each meeting (a morning president, an evening president, etc.) They meet together for board meetings. I never thought about the challenges, but I think they are the same for both groups.
    I was going to talk about the Salem guild, because that is the one I belong too. I go to the evening meeting because I work during the day. The evening meeting can be 30-40 or 70, it just depends if there is a good speaker. I have heard the morning meeting can get pretty crowded at those meetings. There is one joint meeting, an evening potluck in the summertime. And the whole guild works on the biennial quilt show (odd # years) and the biennial quilt college (even # years) when you have the chance to meet people from the other group. There are also a number of small groups that share projects and meet on their own schedule. A couple of years ago, the guild changed meeting places, which mandated changing meeting night (due to availiblity) but it is a larger and nicer facility. They did have a lot of trouble getting evening officers this year and said they might cancel evenings. That would be the end of my membership. I have never had a guild office, not that I wouldn't some day but I am currently committee to other organizations.
    Last edited by Skyangel; 08-07-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    Kim
    So many hobbies ... So little time
    private pilot, quilter, vintage sewing machine addict, silversmith, lapidary

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast