Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are your quilt guild meetings like? >

What are your quilt guild meetings like?

What are your quilt guild meetings like?

Old 10-01-2015, 06:31 AM

Lightbulb What are your quilt guild meetings like?

We are looking for some ideas that could spice up our quilt guild meetings. It has slowly become only a business meeting. We have varying degrees of expertise, and we are also a small rural community. What is your guild meeting like?
Old 10-01-2015, 06:38 AM

One of the most popular parts of our meeting is the Show and Tell. We get to ooh and aah at everyone's quilts. Of course, the speaker is usually a big hit, too.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

Save show and tell for after the business meeting so more people stay!
Old 10-01-2015, 07:33 AM

Yes the show and tell portion has always been my favourite. But also it is fun if there is an ongoing program like a block of the month or a mystery quilt, so there is anticipation for the next step.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:38 AM

I see this posted today that might be fun for your group as well? http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t270563.html
Old 10-01-2015, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Yep, business part is boring but necessary. We try to keep it short and have a vendor in for shopping, show and tell, raffle of guild supplied prizes and a program. Sometime just a member showing a new product or technique and sometimes a special speaker or workshop.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Tartan. Look for some local quilt teachers. We have university day which people who might be an expert can demo their skills. Swap blocks may work but everyone has to try to make accurate blocks. Show and tell has always been my favorite part.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:18 AM

we have 2 meetings a month. 1st one is business meeting..with show and tell at the end. 2nd meeting is a demonstration by a member. This rotates between members-some like to do it and others are not interested. (and thats ok). If we have a 5th Wed in the month, they have a work night. They layer small kids quilts for our local shelter project. We take those home , stitch the edges, 'birth' them, top stitch and tie or tack (or in my case, quilt...). We are a small chapter -about 20-25.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:50 AM

we only have meetings when something needs to be discussed. Otherwise it is all about meetings. We have a few charity projects we do each year and we all bring our machines and sew on them. Sometimes the more talented girls teach the newer girls techniques or we all make a project we like in our own colors. Our meetings are more hands on than meetings now. It is a lot better. Sometimes we bring in an instructor and do a weekend retreat. We have sew-ins once a month that anyone can attend. Sew-ins usually start on Friday afternoon and go to Saturday night. We bring snacks to share and bag lunches. Usually go out for supper or order in. Depends on the crowd that day. The cost of the hall is split between the # of girls sewing that day.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:00 PM

Have you tried having guest speakers, challenges, one of your members running an "in-house" course or having a professional coming in and run a course. That obviously depends on finances of the members and the guilt.

I am not sure what time of the day you meet - my guilt meets on the second Sat afternoon of each month and we have an afternoon tea roster with two ladies providing afternoon tea each month. Have your "show and tell" followed by afternoon tea then the meeting - that way you have the fun part first and then the business part. That will keep all members present longer.