Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are your quilt guild meetings like? >

What are your quilt guild meetings like?

What are your quilt guild meetings like?

Old 10-01-2015, 01:46 PM

A fun thing we do is a monthly "block lotto." There's someone in charge of determining which block (and providing a tutorial if needed) and what color palette to use. There's a drawing to see who wins all the blocks. The winner needs to use all the blocks in a project before they can win again. Since this is for the Modern Guild, I've been able to add a bunch of negative space to finish something when I've won. I only mention it because last month I only won 4 blocks!

also, we've had members (free!) demonstrate various techniques like paper piecing or how to organize fabric.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

A very large guild that I belonged to in Oregon had a "free table" before the meeting. People brought sewing things that they didn't want, and everyone could pick up whatever they wanted. There were usually 3-4 long tables just covered with fabric scraps, magazines, books, patterns, etc. (but mostly fabric scraps). It was a great place to socialize before the meeting. Someone would say that she was looking for green, or for daisies, or for kid's fabric, and everyone else would help her look. It was interesting how one person would pass over a fabric, while someone else would love it.

Any kind of meeting where a member shows a technique seems to be a winner. But I agree that show and tell is the best part of any meeting.

If it's a smaller guild, you might also consider going somewhere together, whether to a fabric shop, a quilt show, or just out to lunch. Having fun brings all the members closer together.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

The normal meetings include committee reports, door prices, and show and tell. Then there is a 10 minute break followed by a guest speaker. One meeting is dedicated strictly to community service (in the summer with an ice-cream social); one meeting dedicated to mentor night where various stations are set up and members have short tutorials going, one meeting is the "yard sale" where members sell and buy their "stuff," and one is the holiday meeting in December (which I categorically do not attend).

We also have Community Service present at the meetings as well as a free table, library, block of the month, treasure's raffle, a visiting guild with their opportunity quilt, workshops by the guest speaker on the following day (generally) and time to visit.

Last edited by MadQuilter; 10-01-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

My guild has gone down hill in the last few years. We have lost a lot of the younger quilters because of the older members not wanting to change or spend money in the budget. They are all not physically capable of doing any bus trips, shop hops, retreats, or day trips. Everything the younger members want to do, so they vote down the guild sponsoring the activities. A guild has to stay interesting and have many activities to choose to do. Sadly my guild is the old biddy guild. Show and Tell is the only reason I still go.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:45 PM

Ours meets once a month. There is usually an educational program of some sort--usually a member demonstrates a technique, sometimes we get a list of supplies to bring and we all work on some quick item. About 4-5 times a year we have optional challenge projects to work on at home then all bring ours in for the "reveals". Always have show and tell at the end of the meeting.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by busy fingers View Post
Have you tried having guest speakers, challenges, one of your members running an "in-house" course or having a professional coming in and run a course. That obviously depends on finances of the members and the guilt.

I am not sure what time of the day you meet - my guilt meets on the second Sat afternoon of each month and we have an afternoon tea roster with two ladies providing afternoon tea each month. Have your "show and tell" followed by afternoon tea then the meeting - that way you have the fun part first and then the business part. That will keep all members present longer.
Never belonged to a guild but one w/afternoon tea would definately be a super addition for me
Old 10-01-2015, 10:54 PM

For me, the program must be good. And no drama during a meeting. The guild that let this happen lost 1/2 of it's membership in 1 year. Now that it's stopped it, it's growing with many new members. And it started spending some money on quality activities. The board is there to hash out any drama. Just present the Guild with decisions.

A new idea to me has been a quarterly 12"x12" challenge. The theme for December is "red". It gives the artist in me a chance to try something innovative on a small scale.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:31 AM

We have a Program Committee - they are in charge of finding fun and educational quilt activities: Demos, swaps, challenges, quilt shop presenters, BOM, Mystery quilts.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:38 AM

One of the things I enjoy about our guild is its encouragement to finish UFOs. In January (resolution time) members are invited to bring a UFO, WIP or PIGS and show. Then, in October, there is an unveiling of the finished quilts. It is fun and most everyone participates. Yes, I am busy trying to get mine done by meeting time.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:00 AM

Last year we did a round robin. We broke up into team of 4. Four rows only. At first I was not sure about doing this since i never do the block of the month....but, i surprised myself and really enjoyed it! I think that we had 100% participation too! It was so much fun! Began in Feb...show and tell was in October.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t256801.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...a-t256668.html

sandy