Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are your quilt guild meetings like? >

What are your quilt guild meetings like?

What are your quilt guild meetings like?

Old 10-04-2015, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by oldcatlady View Post
I'm probably the odd person out here but does anybody just get together with a group of women and quilt together? No 'business' meetings, no 'committees', etc. Just companionship and quilting?

.......and many guilds have offshoot bees that do just that!
Old 10-04-2015, 05:03 PM

I'm probably the odd person out here but does anybody just get together with a group of women and quilt together? No 'business' meetings, no 'committees', etc. Just companionship and quilting?
Certainly! But if you have a large group and need to rent space to meet or if you want to pay a speaker to educate the group then you need some type of organization to deal with money/obligations etc. I have met all my small group friends at the larger guild. It's a win / win.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:58 AM

Yes, but we call it a Bee. We meet once a month, in the evening, at an LQS (the owner is a member). We have a calendar to show who is "hosting" each month. The hostess is responsible for bringing refreshments and if we will work on a group project, teach a skill or quick project, or just have a free sew. We do one "dinner and a movie" and have a Christmas party with gift exchange each year. Those who don't want to do the group project can opt out; as an example, we started discussing round robins and 6 of the 12 members decided to participate. We enjoy seeing each round as it is revealed without the stress of meeting a deadline.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:28 AM

I was one of the librarians for the guild I attended back home. Each meeting we had some tables set up for magazines and for books. We had an annual budget for purchasing new books. Members were always donating magazines. We set aside time half way through the meeting for people to 'visit' the library. It was a lot of work but manageable with several people sharing the load. Very popular with the guild members.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:50 AM

There was always a block challenge, written instructions on how to do a block, any one who wants to participates brings in their finished block(s) next month and there's a draw for all the turned in blocks.

It's also good to have some ongoing charitable efforts. We had a table for mini baby quilts for the local Children's hospital for the preemie babies. And another table for placemats - for Meals on Wheels.

A guest speaker

Show and tell, of course

Drinks and snacks table.