View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 05:15 AM
charity-crafter

I think you are more trying to educate the person on the value of the quilt. I don't see your concerns as trying to dictate how it is used. Appraisals are good, because you are giving them the value for insurance purposes.

People don't understand how expensive everything is. Shoot, I've been sewing/quilting for 30 years now and I go into sticker shock sometimes at the LQS. The Walmart bed-in-a-bag for $50 has everyone spoiled. I've even bought the store ones because there is no way I can make it for cheaper.

I only give quilts to those who understand fabric quality, time involved and quilting. They don't have to know how to quilt, just appreciate that it is expensive and time consuming.

My mother was a quilter for awhile, she made really nice quilts and gave them to my brothers, who were married with children. She came home in tears one day after visiting them, they were using her quilts for grease rags in the shop. They'd wipe their greasy hands off on them while they were working, used it in the back of the truck under the tools to protect the truck bed and on the garage floor to protect the floor while changing the oil. Mom questioned them about it "Oh, it's just some old blanket."

Last edited by charity-crafter; 08-20-2012 at 05:17 AM.