View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 10:38 AM
grammatjr

Originally Posted by sewgray View Post
Why can't you tell them how much money and love and work and time has gone into it? Some people really have no idea.
I am glad someone else said this, as I was about to put my two cents in. Often people think that it can be made CHEAP if you make it yourself. They don't understand the cost of all the supplies, the quantity of how much of those supplies goes into a quilt, etc, etc, etc. We all know what I am talking about. They also don't think of the time put into it. If they were to pay someone to make a quilt, that would be part of the equation, too.

But, all that aside - why NOT tell them what it cost to make, and how many hours you spent on it? Perhaps you think it is not cool etiquette. But, if you bought them a toaster, set of luggage, pair of curtains - anything off their registry - they would know how much you spent (or at least potentially spent, not considering discounts, coupons, sales, etc). How is a lovingly made gift/quilt different?

I agree they need to know something for insurance purposes.

Another idea if you don't want to tell exactly. Make a journal (even after the fact), make it like a diary. "today I bought the fabrics for the quilt for Bob & Sue, the color reminds me of the sea that summer we went to.........", "Well, it only took 11 hours to piece all the stars for Bob & Sue's quilt, now I need to.........","Thank God for coupons! I was able to buy the batting today for 40% off! That meant that I could buy some really expensive fabric for the back", "with each stitch of the binding, I said a prayer and dreamed of their beautiful life together"," well, it is all done - total 18 yards of fabric and batting, about 300,00 stitches, 87 hours of work - hope they like it" etc. That would let them KNOW how much went into it, and how much you loved them to be willing to do that, yet without having to tell a dollar amount.