View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 02:24 AM
AshleyR

If you're wanting to learn to hand-quilt, I recommend getting "cheater" panels. Find a few that are about 14"x14". Cut backing fabric and batting a little bit larger (16"x16"-ish) and sandwich them in a hand hoop. You don't need to baste it because the hoop will hold it all together. Get a variety of quilting needles and a spool of hand quilting thread (make sure it is for hand quilting!!) and a thimble that fits on your right middle finger.
Learn to quilt along the lines of the print on the pattern. My first panel was a dresden plate, but I've seen other traditional patterns, but also horses, wolves, Santa, Barbie, etc, etc. Once you get the hang of it, get a yard of Holiday print and follow the lines or learn how to use painter's tape to guide you to do straight lines. Start in the middle and quilt your way to the edges! Keep your stitches the same length-don't try to squeeze 10 stitches in an inch. Don't try to load more than 3-4 stitches on your needle.
When you finish your Holiday quilt, learn how to bind it and put a rod pocket and a label that proudly tells the world that you put your heart and soul into this work of art! Give it as a gift or proudly display it yourself!

Oh and those adorable cheater panels? Depending on how many you have... make throw pillows with them or if you have enough, learn how to use the technique to combine them (like "Quilt in a day") and make a unique lap quilt or throw!

You can find written tutorials or videos showing you how to do it all online for free, if you know what you are searching for! All these supplies can be found at Walmart (if they carry fabrics) or any craft store.
If you want to machine quilt, you can do the same (faster!). This is a hobby that is addictive and can be very expensive (or pretty cheap, if you want it to be!) so take things slow and try not to get frustrated.