Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me please with the basics

Help me please with the basics

I am new to quilting yet, i really didnt even start yet. I need help with the basics on it. I know how to hand sew a litle its been a while though.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-04-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: clarify title to reflect contents

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Start with a small project. Maybe a potholder. Look at www.quilterscache.com for a block pattern you like. They are rated by difficulty.

Most important is to remember quilting uses a 1/4 inch seam. The smaller the pieces the more acuracy is needed. Start with large blocks to get the hang of it. Biggest tip is to just relax and enjoy the process.

Is there a guild you could join? Or a quilt store that offers classes? I was lucky enough to find both, and it really helps to have instruction and to meet other quilters.

I would invest in a book that covers all the ins and outs of quilting. It will give you a good foundation to start with.
    Also, look at the tips page on this forum for some good information. One thing that I have learned recently (and I have been quilting for a few years, and have made a good 2 handsful of quilts) is the use of starch. I never used to use it too much, but as I have used it more, my results have been better. I also , as cjsews said, pay more attention to my 1/4 inch seam allowance.
    Enjoy, don't be too hard on yourself, and keep learning. Gina

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I would take a beginner's quilting class. That would pretty much teach you everything you need to know to get started.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Howdy and welcome, from Texas!

I'm gonna go against the flow and suggest you start with a 1/2" seam, instead of 1/4". Until you get better at making those seams, the wider ones will be much more forgiving. Consistency is what's important and as long as you don't work with the smaller pieces, 1/2" will be much easier to manage.

Gotta run now, as the Quilt Police are probably tacking up WANTED posters, as I type!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Welcome.

Good suggestions above, especially starting with pot holders as you'll get the whole quilting experiece (piecing, sandwiching, quilting and binding) in one little project.

Yes ... take a class or get some books. I can actually recommend "Quilting for Dummies" as it is very basic and takes you from start to finish. Some very good advice and tips in it. Seriously. The other book I recommend after you've learned the basics and the lingo is "Mastering Precision Piecing" by Sally Collins. Yes the word "mastering" is in the title but don't let it fool you because "mastering" the seam is a BASIC TENET of quilting. If you plan on making quilts with triangles, or quilts with small pieces ... you will love this book (and it's accompanying video). I call it the "piecing primer". I was a self taught quilter, had a back-ground in garment making, but the Mastering book really brought me that extra step further with regard to precision.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I started by using the edge of my regular sewing foot as a guide. It is a tad bigger than 1/4". Start small and go from there. Taking a class at a local store is a great idea because everybody there will be a beginner. You can also use Internet to get started. There are so many tutorials. Do not give up. You know the saying - Rome was not built in one day.

Blog Entries
    Get a good book and a simple little kit and HAVE FUN! We're here for you!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

You Tube, You Tube, You Tube!!! Seriously. There are TONS of great how to videos. Just do a search on You Tube for what you want to learn. Rotary cutting, squaring up a block, half square triangles... anything. Then you can watch it as many times as you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    Gotta run now, as the Quilt Police are probably tacking up WANTED posters, as I type!
    Love it!
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

Blog Entries
    I found this website, planet patchwork with all kinds of information for beginning quilters. Take your time. I researched quilting for several months, mostly through this board and youtube videos, before I actually started cutting fabric to make my first quilted potholders. Have fun.

http://planetpatchwork.com/beginners.htm

Blog Entries
    I took one class and that helped me to understand the basics like what tools to use, how to sew the blocks together, etc. It's nice to have someone there to tell you how and why certain things are done and why they are done that way. Then I invested in some books/magazines for easy patterns that I liked. But I must say that even after 20+ years of quilting I got most of my education from this board!
    Last edited by virtualbernie; 09-04-2012 at 09:50 AM.
    Bernie

Definitely sign up for a simple class at your local quilt store. You will make friends and develop a relationship with the quilt shop owner who will be able to help you as you learn. Watch the Missouri Quilt Company videos on YouTube by Jenny Doan - she makes simple patterns with beautiful results and is easy to watch. You have so much fun ahead of you!
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

You have done the first big step by jourining a reputable and friendly forum, the next thing is to go online, or your local LQS ( local quilt shop) and buy a pile of Charm (pre-cut squares) and just learn how to piece them together. We are all here for you but just remember one important lesson, there is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid person who doesn't ask! We are all here for you.

!

Power Poster
    Welcome from Ontario, Canada. How lucky you are to be starting to quilt now. There are such wonderful resources available on the web. I would start by viewing some of the YouTube videos from the Missouri star quilt co. done by Jenny Doan. A beginners course at your Local quilt store (LQS) would be good too if available. Of course any questions you have we will be glad to help you with.
    Start on a small project like a potholder as someone mentioned and work your way up as you gain confidence. Once you get your potholder done, see if you then want to invest in a sewing machine, rotary cutter and ruler etc.

I have been a life long sewer but when I started quilting the best thing I did for myself was go to a quilt store and take a beginning quilting class.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Before I started my first quilt, I read a quilting book cover to cover. Two, actually. Quilt! Quilts!! Quilts!!! was the easier to understand, but you may not really understand until you actually sit down to work on your first project. Even so, if you learn well by reading, I recommend reading through all the steps first, and then re-reading each step as you go. You can also watch lots of quilting tutorial videos for free online if you're more of a visual learner.

The most, most, most, most, MOST important part is to give yourself the freedom to make mistakes. It's okay. Fabric is very forgiving, and no one is perfect the first time. Or, for that matter, the one hundredth time. Just accept that you will get better the more you do it, but you will probably never achieve perfection. Do it for the enjoyment of it, and after each quilt, ask yourself what you learned from it, and what you want to improve upon with the next one.

Have fun!!! It's really addictive, and the board is here to answer questions for you!
    Jenel Looney
    Assistant to Susan Mallery
    New York Times bestselling author

these are all good answers. be sure to check in the eugene and albany stores. there are several more in the area. if you can travel to drain, the lady in the shop there does a very good job teaching and if you talk to her, she may set something up for you.. it is just a little shop, but she knows a lot and has some good ideas about what to do. i took a class from her and traveled all the way from coos bay to take it. it was worth the time..... best advice, try to find something simple to do and just do it. start small, project size, not pieces, and you will do fine. good luck

Blog Entries
    If you're wanting to learn to hand-quilt, I recommend getting "cheater" panels. Find a few that are about 14"x14". Cut backing fabric and batting a little bit larger (16"x16"-ish) and sandwich them in a hand hoop. You don't need to baste it because the hoop will hold it all together. Get a variety of quilting needles and a spool of hand quilting thread (make sure it is for hand quilting!!) and a thimble that fits on your right middle finger.
    Learn to quilt along the lines of the print on the pattern. My first panel was a dresden plate, but I've seen other traditional patterns, but also horses, wolves, Santa, Barbie, etc, etc. Once you get the hang of it, get a yard of Holiday print and follow the lines or learn how to use painter's tape to guide you to do straight lines. Start in the middle and quilt your way to the edges! Keep your stitches the same length-don't try to squeeze 10 stitches in an inch. Don't try to load more than 3-4 stitches on your needle.
    When you finish your Holiday quilt, learn how to bind it and put a rod pocket and a label that proudly tells the world that you put your heart and soul into this work of art! Give it as a gift or proudly display it yourself!

Oh and those adorable cheater panels? Depending on how many you have... make throw pillows with them or if you have enough, learn how to use the technique to combine them (like "Quilt in a day") and make a unique lap quilt or throw!

You can find written tutorials or videos showing you how to do it all online for free, if you know what you are searching for! All these supplies can be found at Walmart (if they carry fabrics) or any craft store.
    If you want to machine quilt, you can do the same (faster!). This is a hobby that is addictive and can be very expensive (or pretty cheap, if you want it to be!) so take things slow and try not to get frustrated.
    You can have any design you want. As long as it's loops!

Welcome from Maine. I learned by taking a few classes, we did an Eleanor Burns Trip Around the World quilt top. Watch some of the Eleanor Burns videos (link below). Also go on YouTube and watch the Jenny Doan videos, plus there are a ton of other videos on there that will teach you all the steps.
    http://quiltinaday.com/theater/library.html
    Last edited by jeaninmaine; 09-05-2012 at 03:09 AM.

Youtube has some excellent video tutorials to help you learn how to do things also. You are going to love this!!
    Karen in Kentucky

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the Quilt Board. You're going to get a lot of help and friendship here. Enjoy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast