View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 08:47 AM
ppatti1051

Farmgirl22, I am going to tell you how it happened to me. I was in the 4th grade when my ailing mother decided she had to start teaching me what she knew. A guilt was the very first thing she taught me to sew. She said I had to practice straight small seams, and learn how to get the size right for the bed. Mind you this was before the rotary cutters and rulers, and spare time on your hands. She said it was a woman's job to keep her babies warm. So, she measured a yard of cloth from the tip of her nose to the tip of her middle finger with the arm outstretched to the side, then she would snip a cut 2 or 3 or 4 inches apart for whatever she wanted. She started me out with a strip quilt. It is just long strips of fabric, different colors and designs sewn at 1/4" seam allowance. Some strips are wider than others. Just keep adding and laying on your bed to get the right width and length you want. No mess, no bother. It is relaxing and so gratifying to see your completed quilt, AND EASY. you can do this while you learn the rest from books and classs.