View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 08:27 AM
carolaug

I agree...I make my quilts for people, no charge and I pay and pick ou the fabric...No stress. I don't even like being asked to make one a certain way...too stressful...I like to be creative and think of a quilt or have it come to me...If I ever sold a quilt It would have to be one I already made.
Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I made the same mistake when I made soap as a hobby. I turned it into a business and pretty soon it went from my favorite hobby to a chore I dreaded. People keep telling me I should sell my quilts...no. Won't do it. I make them as gifts, I give them to charity...maybe some day I'll try raffling them for charity. But it's my creative outlet and trying to commercialize it would ruin it for me.

Maybe it'll be different when I retire, but that's a long way off for me. Fortunately I have a full time job that I enjoy and that pays well enough to cover all my "needs" and most of my "wants" so I can afford to just have quilting as a hobby. I sock away a lot for retirement too, so hopefully I can continue to be a "leisure quilter" even after I retire. I suppose I might try selling some down the road some day, but never a commission. I make what I WANT to make, and if someone feels like paying me for it after the fact, that might be OK.