Old 09-23-2012, 11:32 AM
athenagwis

Originally Posted by Quercus Rubra View Post
i thought orange tabbies was males but calicos are always female. That is the pattern that has always rang true with my cats.... & all the ones that I've know. That's is alot of cats.

But anyways, I'm about to start some sandwiching those little quilts. Shouldn't take long.

Tricia
Originally Posted by germanquilter View Post
Pumpkin is a one-year old male tabby...and the most affectionate curious, playful cat I have ever owned. We have had 6 cats in the past 26 years and he has been the only male. I am sold on those male orange tabbies now; they almost have dog-like characteristics Of course, he has been all over my fabric and sewing table today!
Yes, most orange tabbies are male. I have had 3 orange tabbies in my life. 2 were male and my current one is female. Females are VERY rare, so rare in fact my vet didn't believe me when I told her my cat was female, she said she'd check for herself. LOL My kitty is tiny, looks 6 months old (she's about 6 years old), and any pics I have seen of females they have been tiny. So my theory was that males are bigger and females are smaller because being a female orange tabby is probably some kind of weird genetic mutation thing. So I thought yours would be female since he is small, but he is also still young, so he may not be done growing yet. So anyway, that's everyone's lesson on orange tabbies today!! LOL LOVE THEM and everyone should have one at least once in their life!! My tabby is the only cat I have considered taking a restraining order out on as she just wants to cuddle all the time!! Of course I let her, but it's quite amusing to see her follow me around, yes very dog like!!

Cheers!
Rachel