View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 10:20 AM
betlinsmom

I actually learned to knit in 3rd grade on a pair of pencils. I have always embroidered by hand; my aunt always gave me subscriptions to Workbasket magazine from the time I was 13 and before that she gave me her copy wfhen she was thru with it. Both my GMs quilted and sewed and my Granny embroidered and crocheted and made doll clothes. My mom used dto make clothes for me in school because I am a hard to fit type. Mom says except for sewing for me she would not pick up a needle except in self defense. Ha My younger sister sews and quilts . I taught my niece and we get together as often as possible. My husband taught me my crochet stitches...he bought me a book and hook and yarn and made me practice til I could do the stitches on com mand. He does not crochet . He says the stitches look like boy scout knots on sticks! My MIL taught me to put my stitches tog by talking me thru a butterfly pattern.That was the first time I did not have to cut my hook out of my stitches. I recieved a paper grocery bag full of pc goods from my Granny when I was about 8 yrs old. My mom thru them away the next time she cleaned the closet. My first completed knitted projest was a scarf for a little old man who swept the city streets after hours.It was winter time and very cold and i worried about him. I used my baby sitting money to buy handkerchiefs for his wife and gloves for him after I made his scarf. My older sister took me downtown one nite before Cmas to give him the box. Momma let me put cake, pie and fruit in it, too. I was 12 yrs old. When I was about 30 yrs old I made a baby quilt for a friends 1st grand child. I embroidered the top and quilted it in as many different colors as I had used in the embroidery. To my amazement that new mom entered my quilt in the state fair and I won 1st place and blue ribbon. I would rather do some kind of hand work than anything else I have ever known.