Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 AM
leighway

Because I'm always thinking about more efficient ways to do things, I have a two-fold system for work space gadgets. There are the things I use all the time-ripper, scissors, stilletto, spare snip of fabric as a leader and pincushion. Then there are all the others-more scissors, machine feet, bits of fabric with a needle stuck through them to remind me I'm changing up needles, chalkoner, small ruler, etc.
I didn't want the seldom used to get in the way of my reaching for the often used but I didn't have any really good system for separating them. And I didn't want something tall that I'd have to stop and peer into each time I was looking for something.
I've been teaching my 11 yr old granddaughter to crochet and she presented me with a "pride and joy" present, a heavy yarn crocheted pot holder about 6 inches square with gorgeous purples, blues and pinks. I knew it was too thick to use as a pot holder but I wanted her to know I cherished it. Then it struck me to use it right next to my machine as a pad on which to place the often used items. I can lay them out straight so they're easy to access and they won't roll or slip off the table because of the weave on the pot holder. And everytime I look at it, I smile and think of how proud she is.
Right beside my "pride and joy" mat is a long, clear plastic rectangle with bright green rubber on the bottom that I found for about $4 at Home goods. It's a simple open box about half the width of a silver ware tray and that's where everything else goes. It makes for very fast retrieval and when I'm in a sloppy mood, I can just toss things into it and save sorting for later.
I always try to think like Steve Jobs....how can i get from turning on my machine to actually sewing in about 3 moves. It really helps to cut through the clutter.