Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What tabletop organizer do you keep supplies handy in?

What tabletop organizer do you keep supplies handy in?

Do you use any kind of organizer near your sewing machine to keep things like scissors, seam rippers, bobbins, pins etc in?

Hi Becky,

I keep a small open tray near by. That has my chalk markers, spare needles, thimbles and little bits in. Then I have 2 open ceramic containers. One sets right on my sewing table, it has pencils, screwdrivers, stilettos, etc in it. The 2nd one has all of my fabric markers, so if I want to do a quick label, they are handy. I also keep my scissors, rulers and rotary cutters on a small strip of pegboard that is mounted just above my ironing board. My ironing board is to the right of my sewing table, setting at the same height so I dont have to get up to iron, just swivel in my chair. I made a big board for it, so I have plenty of room to spread out! This arrangement has worked very well for me for years. I listen to books on tape/cd, so that makes me get up occasionally to swap them out, which is a good thing

Blog Entries
    You know how Rachael Ray uses a scrap bowl? I use a catch all basket. Everything I use while sewing goes in the basket next to my sewing machine. I have one by my cutting table and ironing board. If I use it it goes in the basket. I know where every thing is even if I have to dig in the basket to find it. This is the only system I've found that keeps me from looking all over for my seam rippers, scissors, rotary cutters, pencils, pin cushions, tape measure, small rulers, thimbles, thread spools, anything I use for a sewing session.
    Got fabric?

Now don't laugh, but I have three empty (yes I ate them) oreo cookie trays for scissors, pencils, small rulers, seam rippers, glue sticks...they are just the right size!
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
    Now don't laugh, but I have three empty (yes I ate them) oreo cookie trays for scissors, pencils, small rulers, seam rippers, glue sticks...they are just the right size!
    I never thought of this, those divided cookie trays would be perfect. Funny thing is my DH gave me Oreo cookies for Christmas (I got my big present earlier in the month and he wanted me to have something to open!) I still have one pack left and I may need to save the trays. Great idea!!! MMMM oreo cookies!

I have a large coffee mug. Several years ago I took a class where we made a thing that leaves the mug part open and has pockets around the outside. That mug holds everything...2 pairs of scissors (Ginghers for fabric and pair of Fiskars for paper)...between the middle and the pockets I have everything you can imagine. When I go to a class, I simply set the mug in the bottom of my tote bag. It works out great for me!

I have two open mason jars for scissors, seam wrippers and writing utensils. I just tuck a bit of fabric in the bottom to cushion the pointy things.

I love my See & sew light with compartments and scissor rail. It has a spool holder and I love the storage for feet, rippers, etc.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Power Poster
    I have an empty baby wipe plastic box for my longer junk and an empty Betty Cocker icing container with my pens and pointy things in it.....and over by my other machine an empty metal cookie tray....and at my treadle an old utensil plastic drawer insert tray. I have a lot of stuff and every once and a while I clean them out of all the misc. junk that gets tossed into them.

http://www.joann.com/scrap-essential...te/xprd150553/
    use to use it for my sizzix dies, got something bigger and this kind of became my sewing desk storage,holds lots of scissors, rotary cutters, fat quarters, pin cushion, etc.
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

I also have a coffee can with pockets that I used to use on my cutting table when I had room for it which now I don't.
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post

Wonder how easy this would be to decopage (sp?) with some pretty fabric?
    Never outsmart your common sense.

Karen

I bought a couple mesh pencil holders from Dollar Tree. They don't take up much space and work for me.

Blog Entries
    I covered several of the ready made frosting cups (?) with some fabric I used to make a sewing machine cover and use them to hold my quilt basting pins, regular yellow tipped sewing pins and the hair clips I use to hold my bindings in place. I also bought a small yellow basket from the dollar store to hold several filled bobbins for each project, and the attachments to my sewing machine. A sewing machine mat/caddy holds little scissors, a seam ripper (which has gotten a bit too much use lately) and extra needles for the machine. everything is close at hand as I need it.

I use a muffin tin in my drawer for all of my small stuff like the different feet for my machine and bobbins. I have a ceramic container for seam ripper, cutter, scissors, etc.

I have something that goes under my machine and hangs down in front. The part that hangs down in front has pockets. The part that lies under the machine extends to the right. There is a pocket that holds scissors and a pin cushions.

I made it myself. I quilted a large rectangle of fabric. I bound it and then folded part of up and sewed lines to make pockets. I put on the pin cushion and the pocket for the scissors

I have what looks like a silverware tray, only deeper and much larger, I bought in the stationary Dept. at Walmart. It has different size compartments. Holds scirrors, rotary cutter, pencils, sticky notes, calculator, small straight edge, chalk markers, seam ripper, tweezers, everything. You can get them at any office supply too. Desk Organizer.

I use the cup orgainzer, that the earlier post was talking about with the pockets. When I move to a diffrent machine I take it with me. A silverware tray works great also!

I have a small table top plastic 4 drawer thingie that I keep my scissors, rotary cutters, extra pins and needles as well as a couple small rulers in. My pens and pencils, seam rippers, tweezers, lint brush, etc I keep in a cup that I made an organizer for. Now that I say that, it reminds me that I really need to clean that out! It's gotten very full...
    Take time to recharge your batteries. Itís hard to see where youíre going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

I have a wire rack above my sewing machine and added bent paper clips across the back bottom and hang all my scissors, cutters, and other small tools from them. I love having them all in sight and in reach and it is a snap to put them away when finished.

I have a few different things I use, everyhting from apple juice cans covered in pretty wallpaper to baskets and boxes from the Dollar store. I also have a few large Rubbermaid totes under my sewing table to keep scraps in. Vases from the Dollar store keep all my knitting needles in one place, a wicker laundry basket holds my wool/yarn.
    Quilt outside of the box!

I bought a cheap lamp that had a base with a bunch of small spaces for storage of pens, seam rippers etc. It quit working but saved the base and its great. Also have one of the small drawer units for all kinds of stuff like post its etc.
    My sewing machine table also has lots of storage bins in the doors. So everything is handy.

Blog Entries
    I use a long narrow basket to keep my scissors and cutters. I use the tops of Tide detergent in the top drawer to hold my seam rippers, binding clips, safety pins, some homemade pin moors, etc.
    And I have some pencils, used pin container, magnetic pin finder, and anything else that fits in a tabletop carasol type pencil holder with about 8 compartments.

I have a ''pampered chef'' revolving holder for kitchen tools...many compartments, double tiered. It is great and cost me $1.50 at a church yard sale.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I love coming here with questions as there are so many ppl here with so many different creative ideas! Now, to just decided what to use lol. Btw several of you talk about cans or coffee cans with pockets...I'm assuming there is a pattern somewhere for that?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast