Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What tabletop organizer do you keep supplies handy in? >

What tabletop organizer do you keep supplies handy in?

What tabletop organizer do you keep supplies handy in?

Old 02-03-2013, 06:52 AM

I have a few different things I use, everyhting from apple juice cans covered in pretty wallpaper to baskets and boxes from the Dollar store. I also have a few large Rubbermaid totes under my sewing table to keep scraps in. Vases from the Dollar store keep all my knitting needles in one place, a wicker laundry basket holds my wool/yarn.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:01 AM

I bought a cheap lamp that had a base with a bunch of small spaces for storage of pens, seam rippers etc. It quit working but saved the base and its great. Also have one of the small drawer units for all kinds of stuff like post its etc.
My sewing machine table also has lots of storage bins in the doors. So everything is handy.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:15 AM

I use a long narrow basket to keep my scissors and cutters. I use the tops of Tide detergent in the top drawer to hold my seam rippers, binding clips, safety pins, some homemade pin moors, etc.
And I have some pencils, used pin container, magnetic pin finder, and anything else that fits in a tabletop carasol type pencil holder with about 8 compartments.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:28 AM

I have a ''pampered chef'' revolving holder for kitchen tools...many compartments, double tiered. It is great and cost me $1.50 at a church yard sale.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:58 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I love coming here with questions as there are so many ppl here with so many different creative ideas! Now, to just decided what to use lol. Btw several of you talk about cans or coffee cans with pockets...I'm assuming there is a pattern somewhere for that?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:23 AM

I use a plastic tray thing that fisherman use..it has variable size areas that are just right for the stuff I use all the time. The fishing dept of stores has great stuff! ( I use fish line to hang my wall hangings)
Old 02-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

I have the same as Dolphngyrl works really well. I also have sever pencil holders I picked up off the dollar table at Target.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:48 PM

A form meat tray and a pin cushion by each of my machines. The meat tray holds a pencil, small square ruler, scissors and seam ripper. Pin cushionhas pins and needles.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Pam B View Post
I have a large coffee mug. Several years ago I took a class where we made a thing that leaves the mug part open and has pockets around the outside. That mug holds everything...2 pairs of scissors (Ginghers for fabric and pair of Fiskars for paper)...between the middle and the pockets I have everything you can imagine. When I go to a class, I simply set the mug in the bottom of my tote bag. It works out great for me!
Me, too! I just have the coffee mug. I have two pair of scissors, snips, a stiletto, tweezers, two seam rippers, a small tube of machine oil, some markers, some #12 disposable surgical scalpels, and a 1/4" ruler for marking HSTs. I have a great Horn machine cabinet with lots of storage just down at my right side so lots of stuff is there and handy but this mug stuff is right at my fingertips on the window ledge. Beside the mug is my small pile of fabric scrap "spiders" that I use to sew off on when chain piecing.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:50 PM

Many years ago there was a product called a Ruler Roundup...I got one of the original ones that were sort of a mottled beige, then they made clear ones....it holds rulers up to 24". and also has places for scissors, pens, pins, etc. I have it sitting on my sewing table, but it can also hang on the wall. It has 3 divisions so I have my longer rulers in back, mid size rulers in middle, and shorter rulers in front. We had them at our quilt shop at each cutting table...we could have sold many of them after they stopped making them.