View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 05:46 AM
GramMER

Originally Posted by MamaHen View Post
Now I want to know "Does your husband know what you all are in for?" What small community are your going to be calling home for the next couple of years? All I can say is that the money better be worth it. Unless housing, fuel are included in payment it's going to cost you a small fortune. Take it from someone who lived in Alaska for over 54 years. I wouldn't have a comment if you were on a road system somewhere, but out in the boonies with only plane or boat (in the summer) all I can say is good luck.
And YES most online retailers think Alaska is another country.
MamaHen,
I feel like you do about being prepared for the shock. I hope the money is worth the shift from civilization to no-man's-land. BTW, just one more downer--have you checked out medical facilities or prices of doctor's visits? A friend of ours who lives there says he has good insurance through an oil company, but there have been doctors who refused to treat him because of his age. The first visit for any doctor will be no less than $450, and at least $250 after than if you have to do follow-up. If you are on Medicare, forget seeing a doctor anywhere in AL. They do not take Medicare patients at all.