Thread: Am I a meanie?
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Friday1961

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
You gals are great! I'm over the not making the quilt guilt. You know, even if someone wanted to pay me $500 to make a baby quilt, I would say no. I had enough pressure running medical offices for 30 years. This is my relaxation. I make quilts because I want them for me or to give to someone special. I worked for years and couldn't wait till I could retire and do what I wanted; now I'm there and enjoying every minute. I love the feeling when I see how excited a loved one, friend or family, is to receive one of my creations. Thanks for all the support!
This is exactly my feeling about quiltmaking, or indeed, anything I do in retirement. Learning to make quilts has been therapy for me, after unexpected surgery last year. Recently my DIL wanted me to make a eyeglass lanyard holder (she makes jewelry and made the lanyards for her boss who is retiring). I made up a pattern, bought the fabric, made the thing, and she was well pleased. Then I realized she was thinking "mass production" of these lanyard holders/pouches with her supplying the lanyards. Without hesitation I said "you do realize I have no interest in making more of these? I enjoyed learning how to make this one but don't want to do this for money." No more was said.