View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 07:19 AM
auntpiggylpn

Originally Posted by Oistin View Post
I guess Im in the minority . I will continue doing what I have done before. No prewashing . If I had to prewash everything then nothing will get done. Life is too short to worry aout the "What ifs". We are becoming a nation of paranoid people. I can't worry about the unknown or the unseen. I continue to enjoy life.
In my case it isn't a matter of I can't be bothered with pre washing; it is a matter of preventing serious health problems. I am extremely allergic to the chemicals used in the manufacturing and processing if fabrics. I developed an autoimmune disorder and my dermatologist has traced it back to my quilting mainly the chemicals on the fabrics. Before we could figure out what the trigger was I was covered head to toe in itchy scaly seepy wounds. I looked like a burn victim. I was in constant pain and the itching almost drove me insane. I now will be on steroids and biological injections for the rest of my life. My joints are affected and I now have advanced arthritis. I am at increased risks of infections. We traced it back to the chemicals in fabric because right before my symptoms started, I had taken about a 5 year break from quilting and had not touched fabric in that time.

So those that don't suffer any allergies from the chemicals in fabric just know that I am very jealous of you. And count yourself very fortunate!