Old 04-01-2013, 04:34 AM
quilterpurpledog

Here is another 'two bits' worth. I have used this method several times and have applied it to several sizes of projects. I do not thin the glue with water because it takes longer for the quilt to dry as the water soaks into the quilt or backing and into the batting. I usually use clamps on my 30" X 72" table and work from the center of the quilt out in sections. I work with the backing and batting first because it is cut several inches larger than the top. I clamp the backing down and roll up the batting while I apply the glue. I have done the grid method but usually do the figure "A" method. I use a rubber spatula from the kitchen to spread the glue out and smooth the backing (or quilt top) down with my hands, working from the center out to the edges. If it is a small project such as place mats or a runner I will carry it to the ironing board and iron it dry but if it is a large quilt I let it dry overnight. I try not to let the glue get old because it is harder to control. I did have a big problem one time when I used a packages king sized batting. When I unfolded it there were areas that had stretched when it was packaged. It was a bit of a headache to manage. But I used thread basting in those areas when putting the batting and backing together. By handling it this way the stretching was managed. There were no problems using glue when putting the top together with the backing/batting combination. I took the basting stitches out as I quilted with no difficulties.