Old 04-01-2013, 05:14 AM
quilttiger

I have used Elmer's washable glue stick for matching open seams, etc. with success. Then I tried basting a quilt top the other day...it went well, and I am now an Elmer's glue convert, . For this particular project, I used very thin drizzles in large zig zags across one section of the backing. Then I rolled up the batting and centered it across the top. After that, I gently unrolled the batting, gently patting it down as I went down the backing. I repeated the process until the whole backing was covered. I did not baste between the top and the backing because of the nature of the project and it still came out fine. Thus far, I have not diluted the glue. Next time I will keep a light touch on the amount of glue and see what happens. I agree with Tashana about leaving the space for the binding. Once that glue dries, it is sure like trying to poke a needle through metal. The quilting was done by the SITD method. For my next machine quilting project, I will pin the backing to the leader and then baste the batting and the top to the backing across the top edge only and let it dry before I start quilting.