Old 04-01-2013, 06:00 AM
maviskw

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
There are many of us who still do not have the "picture" of how this glue basting is done.

Please tell us which, if any, of these ways you apply the glue when you are basting a quilt.
Also, do you apply the glue to the fabric or the batting? Do you glue the front or the back first?

<fieldset class="postcontent"><legend> Attached Images</legend>
</fieldset>

Thanks!

Jan in VA

That should read SPREAD not pread in C!
YES, YES, YES, AND YES! Except for C does not need to be spread. Just made very thin lines.

I spread my quilt on my queen bed sideways, letting it hang over the two sides. I have the centers of back, batt, and top marked with pins across the middle. Smooth them out on the bed. Pin centers so all layers match. Then I roll up the top, put glue on the batt, (from the middle to about 1/4 way down the quilt), smooth down the top, and use the iron to just press in a lot of spots. As long as most of it is dry, you can start working on the other end the same way. Then pull the center to the edge of the bed and work on the 1/4 end that was hanging over. When that is partially dry, pull it all over the other way, and work on the last quarter. Now turn the whole thing over, and work on the back in the same way. Those middle pins can stay in until you are done.

Now for the binding: I sew it onto the front with the mitered corners, press that seam open very carefully, (you want to see the ditch into which you will be stitching). Then turn quilt over and glue down the binding so that it extends about 1/8 in over the seam line. Glue the corners, too, just like you want them to look. A little more glue here will hold them in place. Then after it has been all ironed dry (as you go), turn it over and stitch in the ditch from the front.
Doesn't take long at all. No pins to not hit, no pins to take out, no pins to pick you at every turn!
I've done several queen quilts like this, and love it. Soooo fast and fun. After washing, the binding seam relaxes, and you can't see any stitching, (well, most of the time.)