View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 04:38 PM
AlaskaAlice

My post just disappeared!
We used all kinds of things for quilts. worn out clothes..older blankets that were patched and put inside.. nylons. baughten bats were not like they are now and we had to use what we could..We even cut up wool underware.. that was to worn the wear any more. overhaul patches sowen together made wonder picknic quilts to set on and put food on for 4 of July gatherings. or ball games..etc. I remember setting on the quilt in progress. stitching and tying.. wind would blow piles of snow in the cracks of the door and windows. so sitting on the blanket would help to stay a bit warmer. cat tail fluff was gathered like cotton. for stuffing..Some wonderful stories can be told of adventures.. working to just make enough to do the necessary servival things. My first pair of shoes cost .25..carding fiber for bats ..we mostly used wool from sheep..Today here in Alaska the art of spinning and carding is still done. to make threads for weaving or knitting. It really is kind of fun when you have a fun attitude. singing reading stories, while everyone works at quilt bees is not done so much anymore..I was born in 1936.. my kids were born late 50's and early 60's..Life is fun when you are blessed!