View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 AM
sak658

I have some sad irons..when I was 9..my mother heated her irons in the fireplace somehow..and I can still see her ironing my dad's white shirts...he drove a school bus..I learned how to cook cornbread and iron those shirts before I was 9...then our house burned down that year and we had to move...I don't remember using those irons after that...the reason for the fire...my mother had the lining in a frame for a quilt and she was taking cotton and putting it in on the lining.I don't know where she was getting the cotton from....my brother was down the road playing with neighbors and he split his pants..he came home to get Mom to fix them..he was 15 at the time..he ask my mom if he could help her put the cotton on the quilt..she said "No Son...you will get it too thick for me to quilt...so these frames hung from the ceiling and it was in what we called the fireplace room..there also was a bed in there..there was a chest sitting in the room..my brother turned around and picked up a kitchen match and like a kid he flicked the head of the match with his fingernail...why I don't have an idea...me and my sister was across the road playing and my baby sister was only a year old..when he flicked the match..it lit up and came off and up and came down in the cotton on the quilt..and it started to burn..the ceilings in the old house were low and my mom ran out to the pump on the back porch to get a bucket of water..and she grabbed my little sister and sit her outside of the back porch..by the time she got back into the house with the water...the fire had already spread to the kitchen which was the next room..she ran back out..grabbed my sister and my brother was running around screaming ...Mom..I didn't mean to do it. I didn't mean to do it....bless his heart he was so scared...the old house had wall paper on all the walls and ceiling too I think...there was no fire dept..back in those days out in the country..thank goodness we all were ok.. but my mom had canned hundreds of jars of food and they all blew up..and the butane tank...she had washed that day for us and my grandpa and grandma on my daddy's side and the fire went down the clothes lines and burned up all our clothes..so we were left with what ever we had on...by nightfall..neighbors and friends had came and brought furniture , clothing some money..and moved us up the road about a mile to a little 4 room house..My mom had a little china doll that she got when she was 4 years old..all she found after the fire was her head...I have that doll now..I had the body, hands and feet replaced for her several years ago..my mom was born in 1910..she passed away in 2004..so the doll is 99 years old now...this is the doll in the pic..but the sad irons that I have didn't belong to my mother...she didn't like old things much...guess times for her[ATTACH=CONFIG]406040[/ATTACH] were not so good..she liked new and pretty things...didn't mean for post to be so long...but brought back so many memories...good ones and some not so good..and thankful that I'm here today and can still remember..
Attached Thumbnails moms-china-doll.jpg  

Last edited by sak658; 04-03-2013 at 08:00 AM.