View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 06:26 PM
kimv44

I've given so many quilts away as gifts or to auctions and fund raisers and a few of them I heard were not being used, they were being hung on a wall. When I asked one of the recipients (of a baby quilt) why they were not using it for the baby they replied that they didn't want the baby to spit up on it, get it dirty or tear it. I told them that is fine with me if they want to hang it up, but that it wasn't my intention when I was making it. When I make a baby quilt I imagine the baby laying on top of it on the floor surrounded by toys and playing and enjoying it.. when it gets old and worn it will be a fond item for them to keep. I usually tell people that I would love to see my quilt be the most worn out, soft, over washed blanket in the house.. I want it to go on picnics and be used to comfort someone when they're home sick on the sofa with a box of tissues... those are the items I would cherish... those are the items that I DO cherish.. my son was the recipient of the first full size quilt I had made and it has had so many repairs that it looks like Frankenstein.. I don't care.. I don't even care if the repairs are visible.. he loves it so much and it's the first thing he asks for when he's not feeling well or if he is sad..

Use your quilts.. the love you put in them when you made them should be wrapped all around your family when they are warmed by them!!