Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I actually use my quilts?

Should I actually use my quilts?

I have a few full size quilts I have made and they are in the linen closet. I was sorting closets yesterday and thought I should be using them. Every time I put them out on a bed I get stressed thinking what if someone spills something on them, or if they fade when washed. Does anyone else have this phobia?

Blog Entries
    I use quilts on all the beds in my house and truly hope that those quilts that I have gifted are being used also. The first quilt I ever made it on our bed and just this weekend I had to do a major mend on it - including some appliqued spots. The Dh has split things on it, ink stains, and some of the fabric has faded but it is loved - kinda like the Velveteen Rabbit and that makes it all the more special as it was a quilt for him when we were dating. My phobia is that no one uses the quilts we had made and they never see the light of day
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

I agree with carslo - what are they for if not to use!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    I agree with carslo - what are they for if not to use!
    Exactly - use them and enjoy them. No use saving them for "best" - make every day a "best" day!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I use all my quilts. I just make sure to not lay on them. If you lay on them, you can split the seams easily.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I use mine, if they wear out it gives me the perfect excuse to make more!

I change mine out the first of every month. I've been quilting for a long time and some of my quilts have literally worn out or finished their life in the doggies basket. Keep in mind if you don't use them, your family won't see them as having any value when you are gone. enjoy them, embrace your stash and make some more.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    i use all my quilts. I just make sure to not lay on them. If you lay on them, you can split the seams easily.
    huh??????????

Blog Entries
    i try to put all of mine out. if there is no room on a bed, i hang them for display
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

When I was younger and received something "special" such as expensive perfume, etc., I would put it away and not use it because if I used it up, it would be gone and I wouldn't have it any longer. One day as I was dusting all these "special, unused items," I had an epiphany. By saving them and not using them, it was like I didn't have them at all. I decided that very day that when I received something special, I would use it and enjoy it.

Quilts are special items to be used and enjoyed. If you have them tucked away in your linen closet, do you only enjoy them when you clean that closet? Wouldn't it be more rewarding to have them out where you and your loved ones could enjoy them everyday of your lives? The only quilt in my house that doesn't get used (yet) is the show quilt I made earlier this year because I intend to enter it into a few other shows. After that, you better believe it will be put on a bed to be seen and enjoyed.
    Laurlyn
    Innova 26" w/LS

I have about 6 or 8 quilts and a couple of comforters for our onr double bed. We have only one bed. We don't eat,drink or work in our bedroom so nothing gets spilled. I too hope people I have given quilts to will use them and enjoy them. I hope they do not abuse them.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Not only do I use mine....I sleep with 2 dogs so they get washed a lot (every 2 or 3 weeks). I love them and enjoy them daily.

Blog Entries
    Not only do I use mine....I sleep with 2 dogs so they get washed a lot (every 2 or 3 weeks). I love them and enjoy them daily.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I use my quilts every day. A quilt that is kept in a closet gets no love. It will not bring back special memories to people when you are gone. Quilts that are on beds, couches or picnics will be remembered and treasured when you are gone.

Do you really want to be the unknown maker of a beautiful, pristine quilt that shows up at the Goodwill when you are gone because your family didn't have enough fond memories attached to it to want to keep it? I don't.

yep. Quilts are everywhere in my house. we wrap ourselves in quilts around a fire in the back yard. Horrors ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I use all my quilts. I just make sure to not lay on them. If you lay on them, you can split the seams easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    huh??????????
    I second this - huh???? I've laid on TOP of my quilts many, many times and have NEVER had a seam split. Maybe you should switch to a different piecing thread or something.

I figure if someone spills something on a quilt, or it fades, or whatever, then I have a very good reason to make another quilt!

KalamaQuilts said it; if you don't use them, your family won't see them as having any value. My interpretation of this is if you don't use them, your family won't recognize them and won't have good memories attached to them. For instance: why do we make memory quilts out of old clothes? Because our loved ones wore those clothes and we have good memories attached to them! That flowered dress that Grandma wore, or that striped shirt that belonged to our firstborn son when he was 2 - those bring back wonderful memories. Same goes for quilts. My great-great-grandmother made a quilt, it had hand-embroidered state blocks with birds on it. She gave it to her daughter, my great-grandmother, who used it on her bed for years. My grandmother inherited it and recently brought it out of storage. It brought my mother to tears. She remembers seeing that quilt on her grandmother's bed when she was a child, and it has such good memories attached to it. It is worn and faded, but that's not where the value of it lies.

Simple answer = yes.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

This is a hard topic. I suppose for those ladies that can finish one up a month, 12 a year, sure use them up. But for me, I have only finished one, so at this time it is spread out like a piece of art. I suppose when I become more proficient, I too will want to use them up so I can make more.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Power Poster
    I use mine. I have way too many quilts I want to do, I have to wear some out to make room.

Why spend so much time and effort on something that is only going to sit and collect dust in a closet. When I finally finish my next quilt it will most definitely get used!

I definitely use mine!
    Heather

nice post ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I made one many years ago that was used on our couch for pretty much the entire time my kids were growing up. Eventually, it became too worn to use. I put it away and when we lost our precious beagle that my kids grew up with, we wrapped him in that quilt to bury him. I recently found all the scraps and made a very small quilt and put a picture of my kids with their beagle on it. All the now-grown kids have to do is see that fabric and they remember. This is a link to a previous post about it..... http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t158913.html

Blog Entries
    Yes... Use them! There will always be a pattern or fabric in the future you will like better!

Blog Entries
    All that I make and give away I want to be used!!!! They are made to be loved!!!
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast