View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 06:36 PM
cricket_iscute

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post

A: The top is easy to remove, there are two catches that look like screws.
The first one is visible in your pic above. The little chrome screw like gadget at the upper left of the top of the machine.
There is another one under the bobbin winding door. THESE ARE NOT SCREWS, to release the catch put a screwdriver in the slot, push down till it stops, and give it about a quarter to a half turn. You'll feel it release.
Then pull the top off.
The face plate is held on by a screw. Remove it and make it clean under there too. Also oil the moving parts.

B: Do not force the selector. Get some Tri-Flow and soak it. Gently work the selector till it frees up. There isn't many places that the factory will tell you to oil, but the main shaft has two or three places and anything metal to metal can use a wee bit too.

C: Pop off the narrow free arm cover and clean, clean, clean it inside. I cleaned a whole cats worth of fuzz and lint out of my wife's machine last year. The catch for that is in the bobbin compartment.

Be careful around the pattern selector levers. There are electronic control sensors under notched bar and other places as well.

Once you get it serviced you'll be amazed at what a great sewing machine that is.

Joe
I've heard a lot of good things about the Bernina 930. Lucky you!

Joe, thanks. I have a Bernina I would like to service myself, an older Quilters Edition (don't remember the number offhand). I thought I would need Bernina tools to do it and I think those are hard to come by.

Do you know about servicing an older Pfaff, an 1171? How do I get it apart? Do I need Pfaff tools? And are the innards to that plastic or metal? If plastic, what do I do about oiling?

Thanks! (And if someone in addition to Joe knows some of these answers, please post.)

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 06-20-2013 at 06:39 PM.