Old 07-17-2013, 07:51 AM
PigglyWiggly

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
I am getting ready to make my own custom ironing board that will fit on my kitchen island (3 feet by 4 feet). I purchased a few yards of silver ironing board fabric from Joann's but have seen on a number of blogs and "how to" videos that most people are using canvas.

Is there a reason to use one or the other? I thought the silver fabric stays cooler so you don't burn your hands as much when picking up the pressed blocks, etc.? The silver fabric I got is pretty thin though so I'm not sure if I should look for a higher quality one somewhere else. I'm thinking I'll make a small iron pad first to see how it works.

If you made your own iron board/pad, did you use one, two or more thicknesses of batting? Sharon Shamber used only one thin layer of batting for hers--she says it is best to have a hard surface. However, I saw lots of other blogs/video use 3 to even 5 layers of batting.

If I decide to use canvas, is there a particular kind I should search for (or quality type)?? Thanks.
I have made many ironing boards. My family owned a drapery manf. company and we had 4x10 tables!! Since then I have one that is 2x4 3/4" plywood with pipe fittings on the bottom so I can put galvanized pipe into and have a separate board. I originally used the horsehair padding that an upholsterer uses, then a layer of thick batting, then canvas. I have made one for my travel trailer that is 15" x 3' x 3/4", it is padded with a thick layer of cotton batting scraps and whatever batting fit, then covered it with canvas and stretched and stapled all on the back. I used the small one when I am sewing blocks and need an ironing board next to me. It works great to iron a white shirt on in a fifth-wheel too!