View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 06:13 AM
Novice.for.now

Originally Posted by KarenR View Post
My daughter wanted to do the ready made garments- she wanted to go buy a new wardrobe. I said NO- not enough $$$$.
Buymanship is the project where you put together an outfit and model it. You are judged on the fit of the garment, the total look, and your knowledge of it plus how well you show it off. That being said...this outfit does not have to be expensive. You could have someone else make it for you, you could make part of it, or you could purchase the entire outfit on sale. Last year our county's Grand Champion modeled an outfit she had put together with items she had purchased at store clearance sales, GoodWill, and garage sales. I don't remember the exact cost, but I know the entire outfit was under $20 (included accessories and shoes), but I think it was closer to $10. The killer watch she was wearing looked stunning - but it didn't work so she picked it up at a store for 50 cents to wear as an accessory. She then went on to receive a purple ribbon at our State Fair with this outfit. Her mother was very proud of her (the girl was 18 and getting ready for college so had to watch the dollars closely). It truly can be an affordable project with a little imagination.