4-H Fair Memories

Old 07-24-2013, 05:56 PM

Talking 4-H Fair Memories

My DH and I went to the county 4-H Fair tonight. It really brought back memories. First we went through the livestock buildings. Beef judging was going on while we were there. When I was little, my cousins all raised beef cattle for 4-H. The money from the auctions went in to their college funds. If I was staying with my grandma at the right time, I would help wash the steers and get them all prettied up. My cousins used to get to stay at the fair and sleep in the building with their steers. I always envied them! We were town kids so no livestock for us. After DH and looked at all the livestock, including chickens, ducks, pigs, goats, and rabbits, we went to the exhibit hall. This was very bittersweet. The mini 4-H groups were large, and had a lot of exhibits, but the older the kids get, the fewer exhibits. My sister was in sewing, foods, photography, I was in foods. I wasn't in sewing because I'm left handed and my mom said she couldn't teach me. Apparently nobody else was willing to try either. I'm self-taught. Anyway, when we were in 4-H, the sewing exhibits took up 3-4 classrooms at the nearby school, the same with foods. Nowadays, all the sewing exhibits were displayed on 1 long table. Food exhibits were on 3-4 tables. How things have changed.
Does anyone else have 4-H memories? Please share!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:09 PM

I am a former 4her and all three of our children were 10 year members. Our son showed cattle and hogs. Both our daughters showed hogs and sheep plus did lots of exhibit hall projects like foods and sewing and fashion review. They were both county fair queen, as well. We have 4 nieces and a nephew who are all 10 year members, also. DH and I are still involved...we are both leaders and he is on the fair board. Our livestock show is quite large and the quality of animals are top-notch! Like you, I am saddened to see the small numbers of projects in our exhibit hall. I think young people are just too busy with other activities these days. Plus, I think we have almost lost a generation of seamstresses. Very sad. This week is our fair. In fact, I just got home from watching the champion sheep show and our multi-breed Supreme Showmanship contest. Fair week is our favorite week of the year! I just love 4h!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:28 PM

I was not in 4-H, but my daughter was; only the art division, but it was a great & positive experience. Her children have
been very involved in every aspect of 4-H, from cooking to rabbits. Wonderful fun for them as well as for me seeing
all they do.
Marilyn
Old 07-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

I personally don't know why they don't offer 4H to city kids. Does it have to be all about farm animals? How about animal husbandry in reference to care for dogs and cats. And how about the different needlework the girls and boys do. I know I've seen woodcrafts and there are city gardens. Cooking and baking. There is no reason 4H has to be limited to country kids. I've been to 4H fairs before and other than farm animals who says it has to be limited to country. I know this would help so many inner city kids.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I personally don't know why they don't offer 4H to city kids. Does it have to be all about farm animals? How about animal husbandry in reference to care for dogs and cats. And how about the different needlework the girls and boys do. I know I've seen woodcrafts and there are city gardens. Cooking and baking. There is no reason 4H has to be limited to country kids. I've been to 4H fairs before and other than farm animals who says it has to be limited to country. I know this would help so many inner city kids.
Another one who bleeds green! ... First a member, then a Leader, and for now, a supporter!

TessaGin ... I can;t speak for the USA .., though I believe it is much the same as here in Canada. Hopefully someone on the Board will step forward with USA updates. However, here in Canada all those are happening. 4-H has no boundaries or limitations. The first requirement is that there are two Leaders willing to lead the Club and six members wanting to take it. There are set club outlines that have been developed. If the group wants a topic not in the numerous established outlines, they can indeed do the topic and have a set of guidelines that must be met to develop their own interest area. From those, often times a permanent outline is developed for other clubs to follow. Topics .... anything you could ever imagine and then some!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

And yes another green blooded 4-Her here! In fact just tonight finished working with our 9 yo non farming grand daughter on a pillowcase project tonight. Their fair is in another state on Labor Day weekend.

And yes to what QuiltE has said. As a former 4-H leader I had town kids and farm kids in our club. Non farm project areas included photography, Visual Arts, horticulture (aka gardening), citizenship, leadership, camping, to name just a few. Our 2nd year 4-Her GS exhibited 2 dairy calves, entered his dog in Dog Obedience show, exhibited 2 photos, a woodworking project and participated in the "Cookie Challenge" where all entrants cookies using the same recipe.

As a county fair judge I evaluated many exhibits that were non farm in nature. 4-H is not just for farm kids, and teaches kids to "Learn by Doing". They make goals, create a plan, carry out those goals and plans, then look back and review what they have accomplished and what they could do differently or improve on. 4-Hers learn to interact with adults who are not their parents or their teachers at an early age. This aids in developing their public speaking skills as well as building their self esteem. You don't give kids self esteem, you show them how to earn it.

Yes I have lots of 4-H memories over the 50 years I have been involved in 4-H as a member, leader, parent, and now and alumni 4-Her who wants her grandchildren to be a part of this organization.

Go to your county extension office and ask for information on joining 4-H. They will be delighted to help you find a club for you to participate in.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:15 PM

Oksewglad is right on. 4-H is for ALL youth. I work in a county extension office as secretary and we have many 'town kids' as members. The new 4-H year starts October 1st so now is a good time to start looking and asking questions to find what clubs are available and which one would be more compatible for your children. There is such a wide variety of projects available. There is something for everyone. Our first fair event is in two days so life in our office is very hectic. But I love the fair...the stories that the kids can tell about their projects are wonderful; some are so funny and some are heartwarming. 4-H is a great organization for kids and their entire families.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:51 AM

It is offered everywhere. You just need to contact the county extension office or you land grant college in your state. In our county it is in the county seat town, usually connected in some way to the other govt offices/courthouse annex, in our case. In Indiana, the land grant college is Purdue University. All materials and information come throught their extension service. There are many, many projects that are suitable for "city" kids.
Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Old 07-25-2013, 03:13 AM

I have been involved in 4-H for 60+ years. I was a 10-year 4-H'er, and then was out of the loop after I got out of High School until my kids got older and were able to join it. Then shortly thereafter, I became a leader. I had a club for several years, and now I am a project leader. I am mostly a foods leader, but do some help with sewing and crafts. I have been a judge for several years now. In fact, I am judging this week in nearby counties, and will finish it up Saturday as our State Fair begins next week. I always go there to see how the projects I've sent do. I try to give constructive criticism to the girls and boys. It is amazing to see how many boys are in the foods projects. In fact, yesterday I judged a lot biscuits made by boys. It seems like they like to make them more than girls do. I will always remember my 4-H days. I didn't get to do animal projects even though I lived on a farm. I will be honored for 40 years as a leader at the state fair. A lot of the skills I have now I learned in 4-H, and I like to encourage others to learn as well.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:41 AM

Clarification. 4-H IS offered to city kids. I am still a leader (my 20th year, my own kids grown). I live in the suburbs. My club has the largest showing of dairy cattle at the county fair. How is that done? A wonderful farmer allows the kids to come to his farm, pick out the calf they want to raise for the fair and the kids must go to the farm regularly to take care of the animals. This year, there were TWENTY-EIGHT cows from that farm at the fair. The kids worked very hard.

Milwaukee County, which is pure city has a 4-H program as well, so it's not just in the burbs.

We don't have as many projects shown as we used to, but what is brought to the fair is high-quality. I started quilting a few years ago because I was so impressed with the kids' work.