Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fair quilt judging.  No fair at all. >

Fair quilt judging. No fair at all.

Fair quilt judging. No fair at all.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:59 AM

Default Fair quilt judging. No fair at all.

I won three blue ribbons at our district fair this week. It doesn't mean what it should to me because every entry gets a blue ribbon unless it's just a mess then it gets a red ribbon. One of the judges told me she refuses to give out white ribbons because it discourages the quilter from entering. I told her I that the blue ribbons have no merit other then the quilt was entered. If the creativity and workmanship aren't judged then why have judges? Only one handquilted quilt was entered so it won the handquilting Best in Show and Grand Champion in that category. It was not a well made quilt but there it is displayed with all these ribbons like it was a masterpiece. I asked why if only one entry should a Best in Show and Grand prize be given. That is not a judging. Entries in the fair were way down from last year in every art and craft category. All you can see are blue ribbons on everything.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:23 AM

So sorry to hear about your judging. I am with you I want to earn a blue ribbon. Our fair entries were way down this year, and our judge did not know that one entry was crochet and not knitting!!!! Yikes!!! Sad!!!
Old 10-02-2017, 11:50 AM

I judged knit and crochet at our state fair in the past. We were told not to award ribbons, especially best in show, unless they were deserved. My opinion is that a ribbon for every entry will encourage more mediocre (or worse) entries. It's like the "everybody gets a trophy" practice in kids' competitions. But we're dealing with adults (for the most part) and they should be able to accept the fact that not everyone can win.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:58 AM

Personally I'd rather have no ribbon than one that means nothing. We had a quilt judge come to our guild and explain what they look at when judging quilts. There were some rumblings from some members about how judging is wrong. I guess that means quilts, people, whatever. So maybe this is the new direction of things.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

Oh my, that fairness would be great for kids learning to quilt, but not adults. so sorry they think this is right. sigh. Just go with the flow or don't enter anymore. or find another show to enter into. (())
Old 10-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

"Judges are like a box of chocolates, you never know who you are going to get." Paraphrasing Forest Gump.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

When my DH went to university he had an awful English professor. She gave everyone rave reviews and since he struggled with the essays he was pleased as punch. I told him that this teacher was not doing him ANY favors. He found out the hard way when the next class she was replaced with a "real" professor.

I would much rather get constructive criticism and learn from it than be coddled and my work be sub-par.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
"Judges are like a box of chocolates, you never know who you are going to get." Paraphrasing Forest Gump.
Love it. Be judged for what you do and have done better than anyone else. If one enters the only one in that area, it still should be judged by the same rule. Many judges will tell the quilter why it did not win a ribbon, so it can be a learning process. I have seen them closely inspect quilts,even counting off on hand quilted quilts because they can 'feel' the knot of the thread inside the quilt. I had not realized how carefully they examined each and every quilt! No mine are not for show, just 'use' for family and friends unique to each one I 'gift' too. But I do admire quilts in a show or posted on QB that are really great quilts. And deserve all the good comments.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:49 PM

Quilt show judging and Fair judging really seem to be two different arenas, at least around here. I've heard grumbling, locally, that a blue ribbon apple pie gets a higher monetary price than a handquilted quilt.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
Quilt show judging and Fair judging really seem to be two different arenas, at least around here. I've heard grumbling, locally, that a blue ribbon apple pie gets a higher monetary price than a handquilted quilt.
Much the same here in Ontario ..... you don't want to get me going as to the strange things that happen via the coordinators of the classes at the fairs, and then the judging!

FruitLoop ... this is probably something that should be discussed with the conveners of the fair classes, rather than the Judge. S/he may be at no fault as to how the "judging" was done and may only be following the established rules/protocols of the fair and done her/his job as prescribed. You could always inquire as to the "rules" if not published along with the class listings, to understand more as to what they may be.

Here, most fair classes are judged with a 1st (red ribbon in Canada!), 2nd and 3rd. If the judge does not feel an entry merits 1st, then it is not given ... but that can be totally different from one judge to the other, with most giving a 1st, with the argument that it was the best that was shown for that class. The odd time there will be a class with notations in advance that it will not be judged, and the entries will be awarded ribbons of merit. Still requires the judge to "judge" as to how many get reds, blues or whites .......... many again, take the easy route and just give out reds to all.

As for the values of prizes ..... hardly balances with the values of the quilts we enter, and the risks that we take in showing them. For sure, you are not into fair showing for the $ !!!!