Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fair quilt judging.  No fair at all. >

Fair quilt judging. No fair at all.

Fair quilt judging. No fair at all.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:43 PM

Everybody gets a trophy so nobody's feelings get hurt. It's a bunch of bs.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

...... and kids do not "fail" their year in school any longer ..............
Old 10-02-2017, 03:19 PM

Funny you should bring this thread up. DH and I were discussing the same thing with the 4-H. I've never entered a quilt in a show, but if I were and if I was lucky enough to win a ribbon, I would want it to be a deserved ribbon and not just a pat on the back for entering.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:35 PM

You didn't mention whether or not they charged extra to have your quilt judged or if the judges gave you any comments or suggestion to improve your construction. Also, do they give out any type of Viewer's Choice award or ribbon where everyone gets to vote? It sounds like they are trying to encourage participation.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:32 PM

OK I will be the dissenting voice. First off I have not entered anything in a fair since I was about 10.

At my local Fair, I have no idea who does the judging of the quilts. A first prize is given in every category, so if you are the only entry you win. That is okay by me, because the quilts are being judged against the other quilts, not a 'standard'. If there are more than three entries in a category then a first, second, third ribbon is given. There are far more quilts than ribbons.

My local fair is geared to celebrate home arts, photography, art, animal husbandry, riding skills, and logger sports. Whether judging a cake or a quilt, it is being judged against the other entries.

Now if I were to enter a quilt in a juried show, I would expect to be held to a higher standard. I would also expect there to be more competition. But you know, I love seeing 'beginner' quilts as well as the incredible works of art. For me that makes quilting and displaying in a quilt show more approachable. The local fairs are very approachable and are often an entry point to people to gain confidence to display in a big show.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:32 AM

I can understand your feelings, too many people try to be "politically correct", so that people feelings don't "get hurt". The state has "closed" our little County fair, but we're still trying to get people to come and they do, but they don't have a judge to do any "judging" for the quilts, instead they have the people who come to vote for the quilts they like. Everyone seems to be fine with that.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

Fruitloop- I understand you feelings. What's the incentive if they do things this way? Silly to me.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:11 AM

I cant see much sense entering if you are not judged on your work. They do the same thing at schools now. Everyone

is a winner . I wouldn't enter until they change the rules
Old 10-03-2017, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Everybody gets a trophy so nobody's feelings get hurt. It's a bunch of bs.
Being on our County Fair committee, I frequently assist judges during their process. I once had a judge who wanted to give everyone in a category a blue ribbon. I refused by telling her she could give 1 blue, 1 red, and 1 white. She wasn't happy and tried several more times while judging without success.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:19 AM

I don't think a fair is judged like a regular quilt show. The fairs don't get many quilt entries. The quilt shows pay a quilt show judge BIG money to do the judging, and the judges have to be certified. The quilt judges do tell you in a written paper what you need to improve on. I would want know what I can do to improve my quilts.