Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fair quilt judging.  No fair at all. >

Fair quilt judging. No fair at all.

Fair quilt judging. No fair at all.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
My Grandson says they give out awards at school events to everyone. He says they don't even have to do anything just show up and have a pulse. When he gets home he just toss the award in a box, because to him is doesn't mean anything any more. He would prefer to earn his "medal" so it had some meaning and pride attached to it.
And some day those kids are going to be shocked that their boss doesn't give them a raise just for showing up. It's really sad. Sets the poor kids up to be disappointed in life.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:00 AM

Have never been to a quilt show, nor have entered one, or will I ever intend to issue one. I know there are reasons behind these shows, I get it. But for me, my quilts are my little works and to be loved by my family and friends. Some I know I've spent lots of time on, those are always handquilted. I've been questioned as to why some of mine are not in shows. Personally it's just not me. But I do love to see other peoples work, some I'm in Awe with. Sorry to say, all judges have opinions, some are better than others. If I ever would enter a show, I would investigate all the if's, and's , and but's, before. Just Saying.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:29 AM

I've entered our county fair the last five years. I did it to hear what I'm doing right and what I need to improve on (yes, I'm the baby of the family and I need some approval sometimes....). The first year, I walked out with two blue ribbons. My quilts weren't hard patterns, but my point were better than the competitions.

Some years, the judge is a quilter and looks at the workmanship, color coordinating and so on. One year, the judge wanted to give everyone a blue and just pointed to the quilts in the order they were on the table and said,"one,two, three!" I was horrified and thankfully the next year's judge knew to look at craftsmanship, not just what one she liked best. :P

They do not give blues just to give a blue (except that one judge....). Last year's quilt judge gave many classes only red ribbons and down because there were not blue ribbon entries. The outstanding exhibit award I earned from her means a lot to me!

I'm entering my first real quilt show this week, put on by our local guild. I have no expectations of winning and I don't get to hear what the judge has to say, but I really love the quilts I entered and it'll be fun to see them on display.