Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fair quilt judging.  No fair at all. >

Fair quilt judging. No fair at all.

Fair quilt judging. No fair at all.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:17 AM

So, the Danish system is a points system for each item entered and then whoever gets the most points wins? Makes sense.

As for "Bless your heart..."

Watson
Old 10-11-2017, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
So, the Danish system is a points system for each item entered and then whoever gets the most points wins? Makes sense.

Watson
That's how judging is done in car shows. You get points for different facets of the vehicle. Paint, interior, engine compartment. The car with the most points wins. That's why I was wondering if they had judge's sheets at quilt shows. They can be very helpful to read.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
I would like to understand the thinking and mindset of a person who goes to the fair, enters their work, and is upset with getting a blue ribbon because other people also got blue ribbons.
A blue ribbon is understood to represent 'the best' of a group of things being judged. If there is more than one blue ribbon in a particular category of things, then obviously blue doesn't mean 'best' (there can only be one 'best'). I would guess this is why people would find a sea of blue ribbons upsetting -- the ribbon that was understood to indicate exceptional merit now has no significance. What's the point of a blue ribbon that means nothing?

This has nothing to do with people needing others to be shown inferior to themselves in order to feel affirmed, which is really an odious, insulting idea, and was therefore bound to raise hackles. If you genuinely desire to have a conversation, it would probably be best not to start out by insulting the group of people you wish to converse with.

Last edited by joe'smom; 10-11-2017 at 06:43 AM. Reason: correction
Old 10-11-2017, 09:43 AM

So well put, joe'smom! Thank you!
Old 10-11-2017, 12:20 PM

At a quilt retreat a couple years ago, one woman did no sewing, just bragging! She brought in a beautiful quilt that had won Best of Show. She admitted she did not choose the fabric, cut, piece or bind it. Then she had someone else quilt it. When we asked how she could be the winner she replied with a big smile......"Because I paid for everything!" UNFAIR
Old 10-11-2017, 01:00 PM

The Danish system may or may not use a point system. It depends on the host group. A large regional fair in my area does not use a point stem but does provide comment sheets that go back to the entrant.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Watson
Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
That's how judging is done in car shows. You get points for different facets of the vehicle. Paint, interior, engine compartment. The car with the most points wins. That's why I was wondering if they had judge's sheets at quilt shows. They can be very helpful to read.
Watson and CashsMom .... the way I read QuilterJody's (post #78) explanation of the Danish system would be .... that each entry is judged according to a standard score sheet, and there are no comparisons or rankings done. In essence, that would mean that all entries above a certain standard would receive a blue ribbon. Then those that fit within the middle parameters (predetermined) would get a red ribbon. Of course, Watson, we would reverse those colours, here in Canada! At least, that is the way I interpreted her explanation. So IOW, everyone could potentially get a blue ribbon ... and likewise, no one might.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:23 PM

You're right QuiltE. I misread. We don't do the multiple ribbon thing in car shows. All components are judged with a numerical value (points). The highest points win.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
You're right QuiltE. I misread. We don't do the multiple ribbon thing in car shows. All components are judged with a numerical value (points). The highest points win.
Mostly that is what is done here for quilt shows at the fairs too ... placings not rankings
I can only think of a couple classes that are done based on merit.
Those quilts go to a charity. Meanwhile the entrants receive a 1st, 2nd or 3rd merit ribbon (all can get the same) plus all receive a batting. Not sure whether the entrants also receive prize $ based on their ribbons, or not.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:03 PM

My Grandson says they give out awards at school events to everyone. He says they don't even have to do anything just show up and have a pulse. When he gets home he just toss the award in a box, because to him is doesn't mean anything any more. He would prefer to earn his "medal" so it had some meaning and pride attached to it.