Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fair quilt judging.  No fair at all. >

Fair quilt judging. No fair at all.

Fair quilt judging. No fair at all.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by salederer View Post
I would not even want to enter if all got blue ribbons! Whats the point? I learn from the judging comments, good and bad. How else can I correct bad habits if I don't know I have them?
The point is: People are coming to see quilts. Most don't care who got first; they can pick their favorite.
These types of fairs are mostly for the viewing. Many of the viewers are not quilters. If your quilt is there, that's one more quilt to look at. This doesn't have to be all about competition.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:07 PM

I got to enter a hand quilted Dahlia at my state fair.... no ribbon bit got hung by best in show.I was thrilled.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:22 PM

I actually think there should really be two types of shows...1) the big fancy 'judged' shows that do really scrutinize your work. And then 2) shows where it's just wonderful to hang your work, everyone gets to see it and you don't have to 'stress' about earning or not earning a ribbon. My quilts aren't 'masterpieces' but I think they are pretty awesome and it's totally fun to hang them somewhere so people can see them!! So perhaps that's what this particular fair needs to do...make it a great place to 'share' but forgo the competition. Maybe they would get a lot more quilts if it was just 'show and tell'! I really think there is room for both without one having to pretend it's something it's not.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
I honestly don't understand competition and "showing" for quilts, particularly at a fair. It doesn't add to my happiness in my work to have a ribbon given it, and it doesn't detract for my satisfaction with my work to see someone else ranked better. So, to me, competition in something I do strictly for fun, makes no sense.

That said, I'm sorry you're disappointed with your fair experience. What would you have wanted to have happen to have felt that it was worth the effort of entering? In other words, what was your most favorable expectation?
Some people are more competitive than others. I'm very competitive. I find that competing with others makes me do a better job. I also learn from the competitors what works best. I enjoy competition and like to see who does win. At Quilt Festival in Houston I also watch for winning quilts. I like to see if I can see why they are winners. It enhances the who experience for me.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:05 PM
Power Poster

Another thread on the same subject, that some may wish to read ............
https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f...h-t291633.html
Old 10-03-2017, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
I honestly don't understand competition and "showing" for quilts, particularly at a fair. It doesn't add to my happiness in my work to have a ribbon given it, and it doesn't detract for my satisfaction with my work to see someone else ranked better. So, to me, competition in something I do strictly for fun, makes no sense.

That said, I'm sorry you're disappointed with your fair experience. What would you have wanted to have happen to have felt that it was worth the effort of entering? In other words, what was your most favorable expectation?
Some people are more competitive than others. I'm very competitive. I find that competing with others makes me do a better job. I also learn from the competitors what works best. I enjoy competition and like to see who does win. At Quilt Festival in Houston I also watch for winning quilts. I like to see if I can see why they are winners. It enhances the whole experience for me.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Some people are more competitive than others. I'm very competitive. I find that competing with others makes me do a better job.
Same here!

A few years ago I entered a quilt in our local fair. A couple of my friends went on opening night and called to tell me there was a blue ribbon hanging on my quilt! I was so excited and raced to see it for myself, hubby in tow with a camera around his neck. I can't begin to tell you how disappointed and deflated I was when I saw 20 blue ribbons hanging on quilts all around mine. And my prize money? A check for a whopping $2.50. More of a slap in the face, really.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Everybody gets a trophy so nobody's feelings get hurt. It's a bunch of bs.
Love it. Its about time someone said the truth!
Old 10-04-2017, 05:11 AM

At our county fair we have a judge from another area. They judge the quilts and award ribbons accordingly. They have even been known to not award a ribbon for a category if they don't think the entries warrant them. The comment on the quilts and offer suggestions on how to improve things or compliment them. I personally find it extremely helpful to have the judge the quilt and offer suggestions and I certainly don't want a ribbon I don't deserve.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LindaJ View Post
Love it. Its about time someone said the truth!
That is so true! How can we help our children deal with disappointments in life (which we all face at one time or another) if everyone is a winner? I've never liked that idea. I can't believe it's now in the quilt world!
I remember when my boys were in sports and of course didn't win every game and were disappointed. It was a valuable lesson. Besides, as my husband lovingly told them "Don't you think the other team wants to win too?"