Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fair quilt judging.  No fair at all. >

Fair quilt judging. No fair at all.

Fair quilt judging. No fair at all.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:21 AM

I really wish our judges would comment. That would be worth entering right there.

Maybe I'll suggest that next year.

Watson
Old 10-04-2017, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
I actually think there should really be two types of shows...1) the big fancy 'judged' shows that do really scrutinize your work. And then 2) shows where it's just wonderful to hang your work, everyone gets to see it and you don't have to 'stress' about earning or not earning a ribbon. My quilts aren't 'masterpieces' but I think they are pretty awesome and it's totally fun to hang them somewhere so people can see them!! So perhaps that's what this particular fair needs to do...make it a great place to 'share' but forgo the competition. Maybe they would get a lot more quilts if it was just 'show and tell'! I really think there is room for both without one having to pretend it's something it's not.
I totally agree with this -

If it's a competition - let it be one!
(I will agree that some judges may be subjective, but I think most would be able to tell good workmanship from not as good workmanship. Where it may get "sticky" is when several items are close in quality/workmanship/design - then I don't know how a judge would pick the "best" one.) I also find comments helpful - what was good, what could be improved/changed -

If it's "show and tell" - comments might still be helpful

I do better with "a compliment first, then get to the bad news" type of commentary.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
...... and kids do not "fail" their year in school any longer ..............
Isn't that true! And we wonder why kids are graduating High School not knowing how to spell, speak proper English etc. And it school competitions EVERYONE gets the same ribbon. No one is first or second, kids are not asked to do their best anymore.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I really wish our judges would comment. That would be worth entering right there.

Watson
Watson .... if you are referring to the judges at our Ontario Fairs ... they can and some do, but my experience is that for the better part they do not bother. The problem is that many of the OAAS judges have only basic training through their association, and many of them take the training without much knowledge of the subject they are judging. That goes across the full range of classes (beyond homecraft!) at our fairs. Kind of sad, but that is the reality. Of course, we are not getting the payout that one may garner at "true" quilt shows .... nor are the judges receiving any significant remuneration.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:07 AM

Reading this post made me think of a local quilt guild show last summer. I was impressed that one could enter either on a "display only" or a "judged" basis. That left room for the competitors to compete, and the rest to share their work without pressure. I thought it was a really good system. Don't know how our state fair handles the judging, but I always enjoy going on the "free senior" day and seeing what everyone has been creating. (I considered entering one or both of these events last summer, but shame on me, was too lazy to do the advance paperwork!!)
Old 10-04-2017, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Guess what? .... I am laughing, as I have now filled with trepidation
I am gathering things together today to take to one of our local fairs.

Not to worry ... I know the horrors and wonders of these fairs and will live with whatever happens!
Somewhat snickering to myself and wondering what stories I will come home with ............
Old 10-04-2017, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post

Watson
Do the judges fill out judging sheets for quilt shows where they rate the different facets of the quilt with a numerical value and add comments? From other competitions where they do this, you can ask for your judging sheets after the show. I found these very helpful. They give you an insight into, not only what you are doing right and wrong, but what the judge was looking for.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by JoyjoyMarie View Post
Reading this post made me think of a local quilt guild show last summer. I was impressed that one could enter either on a "display only" or a "judged" basis. That left room for the competitors to compete, and the rest to share their work without pressure. I thought it was a really good system. Don't know how our state fair handles the judging, but I always enjoy going on the "free senior" day and seeing what everyone has been creating. (I considered entering one or both of these events last summer, but shame on me, was too lazy to do the advance paperwork!!)
I love this what a great idea! I think we need room for both types of people, then the competition can actually be meaningful!
Old 10-04-2017, 11:30 AM

I have had misgivings on entering in the co. fair in another town. One year the judging was great, and you felt like you were treated fairly.
The judge last year decided to not judge on the quilt, but rather her friends who entered. If they were a friend, they got a ribbon. Otherwise, she didn't even look at their piece.
I didn't enter this year, as I haven't been able to quilt very much due to my arm break and my wrist still hurting. I have grown more to the side of quilting for the enjoyment and to make gifts for others. Too many people quilt for "blood." They work themselves up into almost getting sick if they don't get a ribbon, or the ribbon they felt they should have. Life is too short for that!
Mariah
Old 10-04-2017, 11:31 AM

I judged our local county fair this year for the first time. I was basically told that everything should get a 1st place or 2nd place ribbon. I wasn't allowed to judge items in the same category against one another - each item had to be judged on its own. They want to be sure they get lots of entries every year, and if they were judged the way they should be, then people would stop entering.

I think this is terrible. Adults, teens, pre-teens, etc. need to know that you can't go through life expecting to get 1st place ribbons just for participating.

There is a nominal fee to enter something (like $0.25 per item), but a first place ribbon would earn $4. So people were entering tons of stuff just to make money. If they were judged they way they should have been, then there wouldn't have been 100's of entries.

I can tell you, that I will never judge again. Entries should earn their ribbons, not be handed to them. I have never entered a show, but you can be sure I would want to be judged on my workmanship!