View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Dalronix

Originally Posted by granny64 View Post
... I use to sell crafts. No one ever gets the worth of their labor out of hand crafted item. You know that your time put into an item is priceless. ....
I have to agree with this. Having done crafts such as needlepoint and cross stitch for many, many years, I think you just have to look at crafting as an enjoyable hobby. If you are able to sell an item and make a few dollars then that's icing on the cake.

I've only been doing quilting for a month or two and am almost finished my second. My partner tells me I've spent nearly $2000 so far (wait till today's $156 charge comes in for batting and backing fabric for my king single quilt ). Quilting is, or can be, a very expensive hobby and the chances of recouping even fair costs seems to be a goal too far.

Just today in a homewares shop I saw quilts for $75. No doubt made in China but I have to say some of them were really beautiful and I was tempted momentarily. I know family and friends will value our homemade quilts but will most strangers really spend hundreds or more when, with the influx of Asian-made knockoffs, they can get one for under $100?

My apologies for the negative post but that's how I seen things.