View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 10:10 AM
debbiemarie

I have sewn since I was old enough to sit up and operate the machine, prior to that my Mom had me doing hand work, and filling the bobbins for her. My Mother made ALL my clothes until I was about 16 years old and had exquisite taste.(she was a stay at home Mom) Her work was better than I see in the fanciest stores, so when I was begging to have a dress "from the store like everyone else", she tried to convince me how poor the quality was, I didn't get it until I was older. Mom and I would work out a design and details on paper then she would whip it up. I cleaned house and cooked to give her time to sew everything I wanted. She went on to upholster furniture, sew her own drapes etc. she was an amazing seamstress...she passed away 2 months ago, she hadn't sewn for quite a while because she couldn't see well enough. When she went into the assisted living home, she took her blue "around the world quilt" for her bed. I pretty much take after her, except I don't upholster furniture. I did made cornice boxes and drapes. I am just taking up serious quilting now at age 60, well about 25 years ago I made patchwork pillows for everyone for Christmas. I have my Mothers latest sewing machine the Viking 150, her old White Westinghouse sewing machine is long gone. I have retired from my office job and babysit my 3 year old Grandson, still having trouble finding "enough" time to quilt as much as I would like. I do love this Quilting Board site, I read it everyday and get so much inspiration to keep on trying things, and learning something everyday. Thanks everyone.