View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 08:00 PM
JuneBillie
Power Poster

My mother was also a wonderful seamstress, and quilter. I sewed some clothes in my 20's trying to be like mom, but never had the patience she did. She would talk about liking cutting out patterns and fabric. I hated both. I never understood what she was talking about when she said she loved just looking at fabric and feeling it. The clothes I made in my 20's were forced by my drive. hehe.. I would much rather have been in a store shopping for them.
I also decided back then I was going to make a quilt if it killed me. It didn't kill me, but it was the ugliest quilt I have ever seen. It was just squares sewn together, and I quilted it by hand with the biggest stitches you ever seen, but I did finish it. Later threw it away. hehe.

I retired early due to being ill in 2010 after going back to school and working as a teacher for 15 years. I one day decided I was going to sew some blocks together again to make a quilt for a full size bed. After I accidentally found this board, I made a first mug rug that I gave as a gift to the superintendent of schools. She said she uses it everyday since she has retired.

The rest is history with my now love for quilting, and especially discovering the rotary cutter, etc. I now also love cut fabric and love feeling fabric that my mother talked about.

I have even made one bow tuck purse that my mother seen before she passed away, along with the quilt.