View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 11:25 PM
Knitette

My mother died the week my first grandson was born, but that's a story for another time. Amongst her effects was her sewing machine - she was a great seamstress and made a lot of our clothes when we were young. Although a knitter (hence board name) I'd never even threaded a machine, so my sister took it.

About a year later she hadn't used it and asked if I wanted it it. Having taken early retirement from a very stressful job, I'd been learning Spanish (we learn French in school here) and the class had just folded, so I thought, 'I'm going to learn to sew'. I took a class at my local college and started to make a cushion. That Christmas, I bought fabric and made napkins for Christmas dinner - I was so proud!

While looking through a magazine, I saw an ad for my LQS. Never knew there was such a thing! (Despite it being above my local supermarket and shopping there a couple of times a month...........) Anyway, I signed up for a beginners class three years ago and the rest, as they say is history!

My one regret is that my mother never lived to see my progress as a quilter. She would have been amazed that I, who could barely sew on a button, could produce something like this - she would have been so proud.