View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013, 04:00 AM
grann of 6

I have been sewing for about 65 years, since I was 5 or so. My mother would sew all my clothes and I would sit on the floor beside her and make clothes for my dolls. Oh, how I love being able to go through the scrap fabric box and pull out the pieces and play with them. I made most of my clothes through high school, and all my maternity clothes, and layettes for the kids. Then I graduated to home dec sewing for friends, when the kids grew up, then wedding gowns, for DIL and some friends. After the death of my DH, I decided to move where I would be closer to all my kids. I became great friends with the gal across the lane from me. She quilted, I never had. Well, I made blankets for all the grandkids, but never called them quilts. They were flannel, batting, flannel squares, and stitched so they wouldn't fall apart. Anyway, she convinced me to try making some placemats. We ended up having a grand time going to Joanns and perusing the quilt fabric for the next project. That dear neighbor is no longer with us, but I thank her every day for introducing me to a craft that I never thought I would love. Now I make mostly quilts for charity, but I love every second of it. I even got a long arm so I can quilt them myself, nothing fancy, but I can do a mean meander.