View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 01:51 AM
annesthreads

I'm just like you. When I started to quilt I tried classes and groups but they didn't work for me. Classes because I'm sometimes quite slow to learn and they became an ordeal as I got left behind and began to panic, and groups because as a single woman, in the ones I tried I found myself viewed with a mix of incomprehension, patronising and suspicion by the women there, whose only topics of conversation besides quilts were husbands, children and grandchildren. I tried really hard to be interested in them and their lives, but it wasn't reciprocated. But the main reason is that I'm an introvert: time alone is a great blessing. I enjoy doing online classes because I can chat when I want to but have the focus that comes from working alone. I do share my work with a Facebook group that evolved from a Yahoo group. Some of the women there feel like good friends, even though we're on different continents. I met one of them last year, and it was as though we'd known each other for ages. QB is my other source of companionship and chat, and I realy value it.